Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th November 2021, 05:37 PM
Friend

Default There no need to start messing about with filtration

I received 2 bespoke picture frames as pressies.Made especially to my secs. Last night I went into the darkroom and made 2 RA4 prints straight off.

There no need to start messing about with filtration, the Kodak Ektacolour I last used 2 weeks ago is so stable. It needed just a couple of test strips each to get the exposure right and today I framed them.

Now they fill a glaring gap that was on my passage wall. I'm really pleased how they look.
Old 30th November 2021, 05:01 PM
Friend

Default Colour Printing

Have you been colour printing for long? I have always used Kodak Ektacolor chemicals coupled with Kodak RA4 paper. When it was available in sheet form it was a lot easier, but now I buy bulk rolls 12" x 88M and trim it for use with the roll inside a home made paper dispenser and fed out through a light tight slot in the base. It works very well for me and that way the cost of paper is a load cheaper in the long run(better than buying and using Fuji) which I don't really like.

The Kodak Chemicals have an incredibly long and effective working life so long as they are replenished regularly and as you found, very consistent. However there are times that there will be a negative that will catch you out and prove to be an absolute pig to print with correct colour balance. I have a number of these which I have never been able to print satisfactorily.

My usual supplier for Kodak paper, AG Photographic in Birmingham, do not have any stocks remaining of Kodak paper. Very much like the seemingly hard to find, negative film of virtually any make (Unless you don't mind paying through the nose). I have a limited amount of Kodak paper left so unless more becomes available I may ind myself at the crossroads.If the supply of Kodak paper does not improve I may think , 'is it worth continuing' and just concentrate on B&W.

When I started using Ektacolour chems around 1993 a 20 litre kit with developer, bleach fix and starter would set me back about £30 now it is much closer to £153

Last edited by John King; 30th November 2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 4th December 2021, 08:25 PM
Friend

Default I No Longer Colour print

I used to print RA4 colour until I became allergic to one of the chemicals I used to make the developers etc from scratch. Now I just do mainly monochrome, again making my own developer etc from raw chemicals. The only colour I do now is from a digital camera and an Inkjet printer. The initial outlay for the printer was a bit expensive (Epson Stylus Photo R2880. A3 Model). I also use the 'pigment inks' to get a more stable print life. I do not use Epson inks - they are too expensive. I buy my ink in bulk an refill the cartridges myself.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies