Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th November 2009, 10:43 PM
Friend

Default Camera Club

I visited my local camera club for the first time this evening. Seem like a very nice bunch but I don't think I'll be going again. Everything and everyone is digital. I've no objection to this if that's what you enjoy - it's just not for me. It's a shame really as I hoped there would at least be SOME film users. Guess I'll stick to fadu and accept that there's not much for me at a local level.
Old 17th November 2009, 10:55 PM
Friend

Sadly this is mainly the case these days with clubs and mags etc. They have all gone 'D' and you are lucky if you can find any like-minded folks to talk to. This is the reason why FADU exists so that we can interchange with each other about our interest and passion for film and the darkroom and creating images by traditional means. Login and enjoy :-)

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th November 2009, 11:11 PM
Friend

Thanks for your reply neil, if it wasn't for this site, and APUG, I'd feel like complete dinosaur.
Old 17th November 2009, 11:54 PM
Friend

I often wonder what has happened with the competitions beloved of a few clubs near me, consisting of judgement of slides. They were still going great guns in early 2003 but the rot had set in even then with an alternative digi group meeting at the club site on an additional night.

Goodness knows what some had spent on the latest digi cameras in real terms in those days.

While slides were still popular, I couldn't get anyone to show me fB&W film dev and printing even though there was a darkroom. I gave up and went on a B&W course at Leamington College which couldn't cope with the demand. It was and is a strange world with a strong demand for trad B&W being satisfied by colleges while clubs are all turning their backs on trad work of any kind.

The students complete their courses and presumably either pursue their interests alone or via sites like FADU or just give up completely on the trad medium and take the " if you can't beat them, better join them" route.

Mike
Old 18th November 2009, 07:14 AM
Friend

Sad, but true, however you could invite any Friends here for a chat at a suitable venue in your area. We have quite a few within travelling distance of Leeds. It could be a good opportunity to see each others work.
Old 18th November 2009, 09:03 AM
Friend

Dave, that might be the only way to go. I just get very frustrated sometimes not having anyone in the real world to enjoy my photography with, and I can see how a lot of people feel like they have no alternative but to go the D route.
Old 18th November 2009, 09:20 AM
Friend

Hello and good morning,

I too can relate to the change and direction of many camera clubs in my local area. They have all appeared to have dropped the trad. analog programme in favour of D*l and computer related issues, spending more time on equipment and image tweaking.

However, as I also teach part time in the evenings for my local authority in the further education sector, somehow we've attracted 9 students this term directly from 3 local camera clubs as the members wanted to learn the real basics of hands-on practical photography, exposure, composition, metering etc., which many clubs appears not to be teaching or practicing in their core agenda's.

I do feel at times, I end up struggling as a tutor where more lesson time is taken up with menu selection and button pushing than on the practical photographic process of how to see and make a inspiring image through the viewfinder and not the LCD screen.

On a positive note at least I've converted the majority to obtain tripods as a aid to composition and getting them to think more along the lines how camera clubs used to promote our creative minds.

I personally haven't been a member of any camera club for about 10 years as many club programmes no longer wow me. Alas, thank goodness for FADU and similar forums.

Larry
Old 18th November 2009, 09:59 AM
Friend

Interestingly, the latest issue of B+W magazine features a new series called "New Talent", and the first subject is a 21yo student who uses film and prints in the darkroom, and is president of his uni photographic society. Their darkroom seems to get plenty of use. And the under 21 category winner of "B+W Photographer of the Year" also shot film and printed in the darkroom. Two lads who need an invite to FADU I think. It seems to me that there are a lot of young people wanting to get into silver-based photography, but they won't be well served by the majority of camera clubs. Perhaps the publicity department need to mailshot our universities and colleges .

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 18th November 2009, 10:09 AM
Friend

A good idea Richard but who is to pay for the 750 odd stamps and address labels ? Any offers :-)

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 18th November 2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 18th November 2009, 11:50 AM
Friend

Depends if you're going to include any sponsors' leaflets!

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies