Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Negative Printing Exchange

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd September 2011, 09:58 AM
Friend

Default Negative Exchanges - Trial Run

just a thought off the back of Steve O post oranges and lemons-

I know we have a print exchange but is there any room for a print others negatives. Along the lines of the black and white photo mags idea without the digital bit.
Set up the same as the print exchange but you send a neg and that person prints it and returns thier interpretation.

What do others think?

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:13 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Mitch,

Bob Robertson and I do this on a 'private' basis each month. The idea of a negative exchange has been discussed with one or two people but there are many people who would not let their negatives pass either through the postal system or to others in case of loss or damage.

Your idea is a good one and I await any further comments from others with interest.

Bill
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:48 AM
Friend

I'd give it a go on an occasional basis, say every 3 months or so providing it was done properly. I think each person should make their interpretation without seeing the others print otherwise it would affect your decisions.

I think working on another persons negatives with a detatchment from the moment of image capture could help improve printing skills.

Steve
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:24 AM
Friend

I think it would work. If you are worried about loss or damage to the negative, go out with the intention of shooting for this exchange and expose two or three identical frames or sheets so you still have a backup.

EDIT: And this has given me another idea. One person shoots a whole roll or multiple sheets of the same image and everyone else prints their interpretation of it. Obviously each time it's run, the next person becomes the photographer.

Steve.
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:26 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Mitch,

Bob Robertson and I do this on a 'private' basis each month. The idea of a negative exchange has been discussed with one or two people but there are many people who would not let their negatives pass either through the postal system or to others in case of loss or damage.

Your idea is a good one and I await any further comments from others with interest.

Bill
As I pressed post I thought that sending a neg would possible be a stumbling block. I considered its worth a go.

I agree SteveO on a less fequent basis.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
EDIT: And this has given me another idea. One person shoots a whole roll or multiple sheets of the same image and everyone else prints their interpretation of it. Obviously each time it's run, the next person becomes the photographer.

Steve.
What a great idea, I'd love to participate and imagine how much fun it would be reviewing the results in a new gallery section.

Steve
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
As I pressed post I thought that sending a neg would possible be a stumbling block. I considered its worth a go.

I agree SteveO on a less fequent basis.

These are good ideas but the 'stumbling block' is more likely to be trying to find someone to organise and run such ventures.

Anyone up for the job ?

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:26 PM
Friend

A few ideas:

1) One round every quarter, Jan, April, July, Oct
2) The nominated photographer takes up to 12 or so identical shots. Could be issues here unless the subject is shot tripod mounted with no wind etc. Also need to agree the maximum neg size to work with everyones enlargers - 35mm most compatible but a bit limiting?
3) The photographer mails the negs to each participant in the round.
4) Everyone prints the negative up to a maximum of 10x8 and returns it to the photographer before the end of the quarter. This gives everyone plenty of time hopefully.
5) The photographer scans each print carefully to match it to the original print as much as possible to remove variations that would occur if we all scanned our own. If a participant cannot scan the prints this could be delegated to a willing volunteer.
6) All scans uploaded to a dedicated gallery in one go and include notes on the printing approach taken, paper, chemicals, toning etc. The descriptive bits are really important for viewers to understand the process the printer went through.
7) invite comments and feedback from other members.

I'd give it a go and volunteer to be the first photographer although we obviously need to get approval from the powers behind FADU

Steve
Old 23rd September 2011, 01:17 PM
Friend

Steve,

I will raise this for discussion with Barry, Bob and Dave.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 23rd September 2011, 02:31 PM
Friend

We have always been very welcoming about Friends organising events or outing for fellow members, and this idea certainly falls under that heading.

The East Midlands Monochrome Group has done a similar thing in the past and found it necessary to expose three identical negatives consecutively or provide a blank either side of the desired frame so that the length of film is sufficient for handling.

It may be better to consider “pairing up” a “taker” with a “printer” rather than having everyone printing from the same image. The “printer” would then post the finished print back with the negative to the “taker” so that they could compare both their own and the foreign print. If scans of both are posted on the forum together with comment, then others could join in the discussion, a dedicated gallery could be made available if there is sufficient interest.

It will be interesting to see what level of support for this idea is forthcoming.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies