Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th August 2013, 04:40 PM
Friend

Default Nova Processor Tips Please

I've just bought a secondhand 8x10" three slot Nova print processor to save me a bit time and effort. My "darkroom" is in the loft and I have no water supply or drainage there at the moment. That means a pretty large chunk of my printing sessions involves going up and down a ladder carrying a bucket or tray, or waiting for a tray of developer to warm up. Hopefully this latest purchase should cut down some of this set-up and clean-up time.

Although it seems pretty self-explanatory, the processor came with no instructions. I've plugged it in and checked it works without leaking, but have yet to use it in anger to do any actual printing. Do any of you seasoned users have any tips or advice for a Nova neophyte?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 20th August 2013, 06:14 PM
Friend

It will certainly help you out especially in the winter in low temperatures. For B&W work during the warmer months there will probably be no need to turn on the heater/s.

Just make sure you fill up the water jacket (holes in top) to the level of the small rubber plugs in the back before you switch on the unit. The easiest way to do this is to remove the rubber plugs and fill up until water trickles out the small holes then refit the plugs. If you don't have the plugs (they usually get lost) just proceed without them.

Fill up the slots with your chosen chemicals and the unit is now safe to switch on. The water bath will automatically keep your chemicals at the set temperature. In use just keep an eye on the water level in the jacket and top up when needed. If the temperature goes up and down adjust the thermostat until you get the temperature you wish to work at.

Do not get tempted to over-work the chemicals and change them often (check with the manufacture's instructions and stick to what they say). If you are re-using the fixer always test it with a piece of film (or use a fixer test kit) before using. Also always leave the slots topped up with chemicals and with their assigned floating lid in place.

Novas are very easy to use and just think of them as vertical trays. If you want to inspect the image as it appears just lift up the print clip and have a look. It is best to do this anyway, or move the print slightly during development, to avoid the possibility of it coming into pronged contact with the side of the slot.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 20th August 2013, 06:37 PM
Friend

As Neil has said move the print back and forth within the slot at least once every 10 secs. As my Ilford MG dev normally only takes 60 secs I tend to keep the print moving slowly for the whole 60 sec but this is probably overkill

I take it that you have the print clips?

Once fixed, a large tray or even a bucket with water to hold the prints is all that is needed then bring them down to the sink for a final wash.

I'd try and avoid keeping RC prints submerged in a tray or bucket for much more than a couple of hours but certainly we all used to leave prints soaking in a large sink on a nightschool class for a couple of hours with no ill effects.

When the weather turns colder and give you are in the loft, the Nova will be "on" most of every 24 hours to keep the temp at 20C. OK the wattage isn't that much but why waste electricity for maybe 20 hours out of every 24.

So in your shoes I'd see how long it takes to raise the temp to 20C and then turn on that many hours in advance. I'd buy a cheap timer which you can set to power up the Nova the right number of hours in advance.

Over the course of the autumn, winter and spring you might be surprised how much money you will save on your electricity bill.

Mike
Old 20th August 2013, 07:21 PM
Friend

I attach clear plastic tubing to the chemical drain taps when emptying the slots. I use the stuff you get from B&Q, etc. it allows you to drain straight into a bucket and avoids mess. I have also started to put cling film over the top to seal the unit between printing sessions. I do this to keep the chemicals fresher. I don't keep it switched on, but do as Mike suggests and turn it on in advance of printing. 30-40 minutes is usually all it takes. Alex
Old 20th August 2013, 07:29 PM
Friend

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I got two clips with the processor. Actually I was wondering about those. Do you leave a clip on a print throughout processing till you dump it into a water bath at the end, or do you drop the print into the slot as if you were using tongs in a tray? Isn't it tricky to grab a floating print with a Nova clip?

Old 20th August 2013, 07:44 PM
Friend

You keep the clip on until the water bath. Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 20th August 2013, 07:58 PM
Friend

In the normal course of events the clip is neutralised in the acid stop bath and then moved into an acid fixer so alls well and finally washed in the Nova washer slot so returns to the dev slot "clean"

However in your case with no washer slot I'd make sure that the clip is dunked and sloshed in the print bucket before returning to the dev slot. Do not return a clip dunked in fix straight back into the dev slot without dunking. It will otherwise quickly destroy your dev.

Mike
Old 20th August 2013, 08:17 PM
Friend

Nova said lift the print half way out of the developer ever 30secs. I think it's best to keep the print moving if it is left you can get the pattern of the sides on the print. When I have finished I replace the tube lid and then squirt some Tetnal protective gas along the slot. Clingfilm mentioned above is another option. Extra clips are useful which do come up on eBay. Nova say you can replenish the developer by draining off a 100ml during a session and put in 100ml of fresh. Maybe every 10 prints or so. This helps to prolong the life of the developer but don't tell anyone because some experts think this is a crime including using a deep tank!!!! Don't be put off they work fine.

Tony
Old 20th August 2013, 10:03 PM
Friend

I did wonder about the keeping properties of the developer in the slot. I've found Ilford MG developer to give different results if stored even overnight in a capped plastic bottle and reused in a tray. Does the floating lid keep the slot airtight enough for the developer to last any longer?

Also, do people keep stop and fix in the machine for any length of time? If not, is it best to sluice it out every now and then?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's extremely useful having such a wealth of experience at one's fingertips!

Old 20th August 2013, 10:36 PM
Friend

I keep the stop and fix for a while, but change developer more often. You can see it change colour in the slot. The level of developer drops as you do a number of prints. I top up 100-200ml of fresh developer periodically to compensate. Once you get it up and running, you will pick up the best techniques and enjoy the convenience it gives compared to trays. Alex.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies