Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th December 2019, 09:22 AM
Friend

Time I repaired my two Zorki 4 cameras, I've 4 50mm f2 Jupiter lenses

Can't be difficult I serviced a Leica IIIa 45 years ago . . . . . . . . and it still works !

Ian
Old 30th December 2019, 07:18 PM
Friend

Thanks for all the helpful replies. The place Edmund mentioned looks very interesting.
I took the original camera back today and, as luck would have it, the shop had another one. I’m using the original lens on it, so the focus index is again around one o’clock, but it’s focussed distance matches between rangefinder and lens. I’ve put a film in this evening and will try it out tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 3rd January 2020, 06:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Thanks for all the helpful replies. The place Edmund mentioned looks very interesting.
I took the original camera back today and, as luck would have it, the shop had another one. I’m using the original lens on it, so the focus index is again around one o’clock, but it’s focussed distance matches between rangefinder and lens. I’ve put a film in this evening and will try it out tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!
Alex

... did the finger crossing work Alex?
Old 3rd January 2020, 07:05 PM
Friend

Hi, Dave!
I ran a bulk length of HP5 through it, and processed the film yesterday. The negatives are quite dense, suggesting over exposure. The logical conclusion would be that the shutter is running slow, but the lighting was typical winter sun, so very contrasty, and difficult to meter.
The slow speeds seem fine, and the faster speeds certainly sound as if they are ok, but I’ll need to try some more film. I was rating the HP5 at 250, which is only 2/3 of a stop away from the rated speed. The negatives were, however, a bit more dense than 2/3 of a stop over.
The focus index is again off centre, but the camera focuses as it should.
These cameras were available new when I was at school, but despite being affordable, I never fancied them. Having seen and held one, however, they have a nice feel. I’ve ordered another couple of bodies from eBay sellers, and hope to end up with a usable outfit. I’ll try another film in this one tomorrow, sticking to more controlled lighting, and report back.
Alex

Old 3rd January 2020, 07:42 PM
Friend

Cheers Alex, I was very tempted by a couple of these last year but ended up buying a few 120 folders instead.

The Director of Finance has decreed that I need to sell some cameras before I buy anything else in 2020 so I’m probably going to be vicariously enjoying other peoples’ purchases for the next few months.

I shall watch progress with interest therefore
Old 4th January 2020, 12:12 PM
Friend

Hi Alex.
I've been using a Zorki 4 on-and-off for the last 18 months or so.
Build quality is actually much better than I had expected. I'll have to go remind myself but I think the focus index on mine is at the top, not off-centre. I'll look when I get home.
Exposure is consistent with my other cameras; I use the same Sekonic meter with my other unmetered cameras (C330S, Horizon) and HP5 at 200 produces similar negs in all of them. You may indeed have a slow shutter in your particular body, but is you combination of film/dev/EI and meter tried and tested in another camera?
It's a shame we all have modern flat screen TVs- it seems you could could get an idea of shutter performance by photographing an old-fashioned CRT telly-
https://petapixel.com/2011/11/30/tes...tv-or-monitor/

I like my Zorki very much, and tend to use it without a meter to hone my Sunny 16 skills. Unfortunately for me,I wear spectacles. With glasses on I can't see the whole 'finder very well. Glasses off I get a full view, and can use the diopter adjustment to get perfect focussing. However, I also can't see a bloody thing around me!
The only other petty niggle I have with the Zorki comes after reloading, when the wind-on mechanism is a sometimes a footer to re-engage. The Shutter cocks and fires, but it takes a couple of goes to get the film to advance.

Ps- If you haven't already read this, always cock the shutter before changing shutter speed!!
Old 4th January 2020, 05:30 PM
Friend

Thanks, Colin. I had looked back at your Zorki thread from last year for some ideas. I bought the shutter speed tester app a while ago, but have never had any success with it in its basic (audio) form. I’ve ordered the add-on optical bit that plugs into the headphone socket on an iPhone. I’ll see how it works when that arrives. It’s hard to tell if focal plane shutters are achieving their correct speeds without some sort of instrument.
I also use a small Sekonic meter for most non-metered cameras. It is working as it should. I had hoped to expose a second film today, but ran out of time. I do like the simplicity of the Zorki, but I know what you mean about the reloading process. The erratic operation of the mechanism seems to be a common feature.
Alex

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies