Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st July 2019, 12:21 PM
Friend

just Received my Lab-Box with 120 and 35mm reels (sort of)

I've yet to use it as I noticed that it was missing the rubber washers for the film guide

Other things I noticed was it has two reels 35 & 120 but only one core or hub as they call it so it will be being disassembled a lot for the sake of a small plastic tube which must cost approximately nothing ...

I also see that you can not use PET base films with it which is a shame as it turns out I like quite a few films on that base and it seems to be the modern option with new films
problems seems to be the clip can't hold it !

I wonder how many kids are going to come unstuck trying to develop films that it won't work with
I only know what PET is by chance

a bit unimpressed so far

robin
Old 31st July 2019, 12:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
just Received my Lab-Box with 120 and 35mm reels (sort of)

I also see that you can not use PET base films with it which is a shame as it turns out I like quite a few films on that base and it seems to be the modern option with new films
problems seems to be the clip can't hold it !

robin
I'm definitely not going to buy one, but I am a bit curious as both to why the Lab-Box won't take certain films, but especially PET based ones. It really does sound like the people behind the idea didn't do their homework properly and could be in line for quite a few complaints from buying customers.

Can you also explain a bit further, what PET is and which films are generally made with this and why it's used over something (what?) else?

Many thanks,

Terry S
Old 31st July 2019, 01:15 PM
Friend

Terry from a longer thread on another forum it appears the problem is that PET cannot be cut with the built-in cutter but someone suggested attaching a piece if acetate film to the PET so the acetate is offered up where the cutter will attempt to cut. Sounds simple but I cannot say if this will work as I don't know enough about the internals of the box

Had you been a subscriber to the tune of a good few pounds and presumably took the risk that nothing might come of it then the price is considerably less than the one stockist I know of which is Firstcall Photographic. It is asking just a penny short of £180 so no, not cheap.

Mike
Old 1st August 2019, 12:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Had you been a subscriber to the tune of a good few pounds and presumably took the risk that nothing might come of it then the price is considerably less than the one stockist I know of which is Firstcall Photographic. It is asking just a penny short of £180 so no, not cheap.

Mike
Thanks for the explanation about PET Mike.

And just checking the designers site, they sell the product at two different UK sellers, for a POUND short of £180, at £179, for the unit with two modules.

Looking to the original Kickstarter page, one could have backed the project and only (ONLY!) paid €109 for the 'EARLY BIRD (with) 2 modules (135 and 120).

Terry S
Old 1st August 2019, 04:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
And just checking the designers site, they sell the product at two different UK sellers, for a POUND short of £180, at £179, for the unit with two modules.

Terry S
Seems strange that two stockists have decided on exactly the same price - not even a pound or two difference. Not a surprise if an item is say in units of a pound or even a few tens of units but when it is up at nearly £180 a free market tends to ensure a difference of a few pounds, I would have thought.

Easily explained in the days of resale price maintenance but a seller to retailers can no longer determine the price, I had thought.

"It's a funny old game" as Jimmy used to say

Mike
Old 9th August 2019, 06:39 PM
Friend

Default Light-piping in PET film base

Traditional cellulose triacetate film base was made by coating a solution onto a large roller and evaporating the solvent. I think it was called calendering. I don't know if that's still the case, I expect that it's extruded nowadays.
PET Polyester packaging film is freely available in the thicknesses used for film but it's made water-clear, which acts rather like a fibre optic. It was difficult to get gelatine and emulsions to stick to it, but someone found a way...
But I remember a PET-based film that overcame the light-piping by adding a grey tint. Anyone remember this?

Last edited by JOReynolds; 9th August 2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: added 'calendering'
Old 10th August 2019, 10:07 AM
Friend

Well done on the makers if they encourage more folk to try home processing.
However, watching the video demo for loading 120 made me squirm. Unrolling all the film from backing, trusting one set of light seals, then opening the lid to clip the film to the 'winder', with frame 1 just inside the second light trap isn't for me.
In the summer, when my darkroom is more of a 'dim-room' I load the tank in a changing bag sitting at my dining-room table. Simple, reliable, cheap.
This isn't an advert for changing bags, but the same bag lets me load and unload 5x4 holders anywhere. I've done it in hotel rooms whilst on trips away from home (and the darkroom).
Old 10th August 2019, 12:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Well done on the makers if they encourage more folk to try home processing.
However, watching the video demo for loading 120 made me squirm. Unrolling all the film from backing, trusting one set of light seals, then opening the lid to clip the film to the 'winder', with frame 1 just inside the second light trap isn't for me.
After just watching a couple of times the loading of the 120 film, I too am a bit wary. One only has to forget ONCE to close the light trap and you've got a ruined film. I say this whilst not having one, so can anyone say whether there is a lock in place that stops this scenario happening?

But yes, it's great to get more people developing films etc. but it's still a bit pricey for me - I'll stick with the changing bag thanks.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies