Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Toy Cameras

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th October 2015, 06:33 AM
Friend

Smile A Treat for Box Camera Lovers

AT A LATER PLACE on this forum I have described the box camera scenario in India, the various models which appeared on the market, and some of my experiences while hunting around for a camera. Perhaps I have not recounted how while I was on my camera hunt, I was also lucky enough to receive a gorgeous gift from an old aunt who stayed in Bombay. It was an old Agfa Isoly I camera. She had shot but a roll or two of film on it, and the camera was as good as new. But mechanical wizard that I was, I decided to open up the box, tinker around with the screws, alter the internal arrangements, all in the hope of ‘improving’ the device. And a week later, I was left with a box which was truly no better than a box.

Before I consigned the instrument to the dustbin, I was wise enough to salvage the lens, and the shutter. And for over thirty long years, the shutter has remained with me, carefully put away in an envelope and stored in a trunk. It is still in working condition and is operated by turning a shaft at the back by inserting a pin or key sideways through a slot cut in the metal. Speeds offered are B, 1/30 and 1/100 second.

Was it a wise thing for me to tinker around with the camera in the first place? Yes and no. The camera was destroyed in the process it is true, but what use would it have been to me anyway, now that roll film is no longer available in our country? So I would say that it was good I decided to try out my brains on the innards of this old box from the house of Afga. The camera was lost, but in return I have with me the shutter and can see for myself the mechanical genius of those magnificent men of old who devised this wonderful array of springs and levers for a camera.

Old 11th October 2015, 11:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra View Post
[...] but what use would it have been to me anyway, now that roll film is no longer available in our country?
Now that the internet has reached most parts of the world, it is possible to order film from overseas and have it shipped to your door. However, due to economic factors in many countries, a roll of film may cost as much as a weeks wages, so financially, buying on the internet is not an option.

There are a few papers and film that are only available in Japan or the USA - Whilst I would love to purchase them, shipping and the attendant costs just makes it too expensive.

P.S. Ravinda: You appear to have linked an image to your post - You might want to repost the link minus any login & session references.
Old 13th October 2015, 05:00 AM
Friend

Thank you Paul for pointing out the error. I did indeed post an image, but sadly it seems to have disappeared. So the best way to see the box camera shutter mechanism is by logging on to my box camera blog, where it appears on the topmost post :-

http://box-camera.blogspot.in/

Have a great day.

Regards,
Ravindra
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies