Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th June 2017, 05:18 PM
Friend

Default MPP mk8

I have taken the plunge and bought myself a nice kit a MPP mk8 two lenses film backs ,loads of other stuff that go with it from Keith Tapscott . I was a bit dusty so I have given it a bit of a clean up ,also it helps me understand how it works ,the only thing I haven't got yet is some 5x4 film so any recommendations , I am looking for cheap and good film ,and I will probably have to develop the film in a tray for the time being ,so any cheap alternatives let me know .. just looking forward to using it soon .Keith has also given me some books on the camera so there will be a lot of reading in the next couple of days
I will also need a tripod thread reducer ..so it will be all go soon and I would have covered 110 up to 5x4 film ,and I have no intension of going any bigger ..

anyway thanks Keith...and I leave you with my wife's favourite saying NOT ANOTHER CAMERA

www.essexcockney.com
Old 28th June 2017, 05:39 PM
Friend

Wink

Quote:
I have no intension of going any bigger ..
Yeah.... At the moment.....
Old 28th June 2017, 05:39 PM
Friend

Nice one Paul! Congrats on the new camera. Wishing you many pleasurable hours using it. Looks like a wonderful piece of kit.

Best,
Svend
Old 28th June 2017, 05:41 PM
Friend

Well done, hope you have a lot of fun with it, I have a MPP micricord and it is one of my favorite TLR's, as far as film goes the cheapest must be Fomapan, 100,200 and 400 is around £35 for 50 sheets at Process supplies must be the best value around, Ilford is around £42 for 25 sheets, and Fomapan is pretty good film, pretty much the only B/W film I use and has been for many years with no problems, as far as developing goes there is the Mod tank/reel for use in the Paterson tanks for developing, I think, 5 sheets in the paterson super system 4 tanks, around £44 and available at Firstcall, might fit the bill
Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 28th June 2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 28th June 2017, 05:51 PM
Friend

You can NEVER have too many cameras - enjoy

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 28th June 2017, 05:52 PM
Friend

Good for you Paul and welcome to the LF club!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 28th June 2017, 06:34 PM
Friend

Fomapan 100 or 200 from Fomafoto is your best bet for price, and it's excellelnt film. Use at half box speed and about 70% the dev times of your normal films.

Remember LF lenses work best at f22, I was shooting LF hand held less than two weeks ago HP5 1/125 f22, some ve ry sharp negatives . Also I use the same lenses you now own and so know what you should expect

LF is a bit of a learning curve, it's not difficult though.

I've moved on to ULF . . . . . . . . . watch this space, when I can afford film !

Ian
Old 28th June 2017, 08:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
and I have no intension of going any bigger ..

Oh God, why do you say that

I mean, think it by all means, but never actually say it

anyway, its too late, its on record, I've quoted it, its there for all eternity, so its gonna be 10x8 contact prints for you by Christmas

Old 28th June 2017, 10:34 PM
Friend

well that's me skint for the foreseeable future I have just bought some fomapan 100 x50 for £38.49 so its tray developing for me ..and I love 35mm and medium format so the large format will be used from time to time but I must stress that its the last camera I will be buying ,and I mean that sincerely folks ,honest I do :-(

www.essexcockney.com
Old 29th June 2017, 01:59 AM
Friend

You say that now as many of us have, only to think what would it have looked like on 7x5 or maybe 8x10.�� Been there, done that, bought more cameras. I too am a MK Vlll user.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies