Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th April 2020, 07:46 AM
Friend

I have a good scanner for small and medium format, which I used so far to have files, which could be printed at 60x60cm. So far I made some books with two different online platforms, which only work by importing digital files in their software. Works very well, but just now I work on my first self made book with original prints. Highly interesting process from making the image to editing the book and finally binding.

As magazine for our favourite hobby I can strongly recommend "Silvergrain Classic" (formerly "Photoklassik International"): https://silvergrainclassics.com/en/

Frank
Old 12th April 2020, 12:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Calm down Terry don't get wound up over things we have no control over.
Don't worry John, I've slept it all off now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
As magazine for our favourite hobby I can strongly recommend "Silvergrain Classic" (formerly "Photoklassik International"): https://silvergrainclassics.com/en/

Frank
As a backer of the original first few magazines on Kickstarter, I too can highly recommend this 'magazine', although I look on it as more like a book. The quality of the magazine is excellent, as is the writing within it.

I only regretfully didn't carry on my subscription, as I was having trouble keeping up with the reading of it along other bits like books etc. that I also want to read.

The copies that I bought though, are on my bookshelf and get reread regularly.

If you haven't seen a copy, give it a try with maybe one issue (to start) as it's well worth the purchase and read.

Terry S
Old 12th April 2020, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Me too! Perhaps the title could be amended for clarification purposes.
Done. But I do wonder on relevance to FADU - I already have a film negative archive; it's a shelf with ring-binders...

My impression of AP was that it was always gear focused rather than photography focused.

Last edited by Bob; 12th April 2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12th April 2020, 10:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Done. But I do wonder on relevance to FADU - I already have a film negative archive; it's a shelf with ring-binders...

My impression of AP was that it was always gear focused rather than photography focused.
It didn't used to be. There were articles about developers, printing, advice on setting up a darkroom, advice on lenses, use of intensifiers/Reducers/sepia toning. Composition of prints, spotting and for readers old enough who can forget the articles by Victor Blackman.

Yes there was a number of equipment tests but a camera usually remained in production for several years, not months! Films were tested, printing papers were tested but again they always remained the same for many years. Ilford MG4 was in use for 25 years and only this year superseded
Old 14th April 2020, 09:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I hope I'm not pushing the envelope in saying that I've done that completely except for my 7x5 negatives, which are too big for me to handle at home (unless I photograph rather than scan them).

If anyone has questions about indexing methods, I'd be happy to oblige.

If your scanner handles 5x4 film you can scan your 5x7 negs in two halves and stitch them together in Photoshop or similar. It’s quite straightforward and you can nudge one of the halves a pixel at a time to match it perfectly with the other half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14th April 2020, 10:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
If your scanner handles 5x4 film you can scan your 5x7 negs in two halves and stitch them together in Photoshop or similar. It’s quite straightforward and you can nudge one of the halves a pixel at a time to match it perfectly with the other half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, Bruce, my scanner uses neg. carriers and the 5x4 carrier grips the negative all round; so I'd have to cut it to fit. Since I have proof prints from all those negatives, I could just scan those, I suppose. There are only a few hundred 7x5s and the two sets (negatives and proofs) are all numbered and match. So they don't worry me: I can just go back to my notes if necessary.
Old 14th April 2020, 10:10 PM
Friend

You might still be able to tape the neg to the glass instead of using the holder.
Old 15th April 2020, 08:53 AM
Friend

No, it's an Epson F-3200 and the carriers slide into the scanner.

I'd better not post any more on this topic, as this is getting a bit non-FADU. Apologies.
Old 15th April 2020, 06:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
It didn't used to be. There were articles about developers, printing, advice on setting up a darkroom, advice on lenses, use of intensifiers/Reducers/sepia toning. Composition of prints, spotting and for readers old enough who can forget the articles by Victor Blackman.

Yes there was a number of equipment tests but a camera usually remained in production for several years, not months! Films were tested, printing papers were tested but again they always remained the same for many years. Ilford MG4 was in use for 25 years and only this year superseded
I can't remember Victor Blackman but even after I first came upon AP in the local library about 2004 there was still a fair amount of useful stuff on darkroom and analogue in general but it was quickly downhill all the way from there

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies