Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th December 2008, 10:06 PM
Friend

Default The Joys of a Rangefinder system

For a good 40 years I have used, mainly Japanese SLR's from a variety of manufacturers but this year I decided to buy a camera system that I have always coveted, namely a Leica M system and it is such a joy to use. As a spectacle Variofocal user with an astigmatism in both eyes the Leica M6 0.72 viewfinder is a dream to use and focusing is so easy and precise. This system offers me everything I need without bulk. I just chuck the camera over my shoulder and forget it is there until I want it then the controls come to hand so easily. I liked this system so much I even bought a second body. I have never had the luxury of two camera bodies before. I even decided on three lenses- 35mm- 50mm- 75mm. There again I have only ever been a one camera one lens photographer. Having said that I usually still only take out one camera and lens at a time and if I haven't brought the right one it is no big deal

Regards Kenneth
Old 16th December 2008, 10:13 PM
Friend

I have my eye on a zeiss ikon. Problem is justifying the expense of a complete new system and finding the dosh to pay for a set of lenses. Problem is I like short tele lenses and I'm not convinced that a range finder is so good for 85 to 135 lenses due to such a small framing area. So I would have to keep the contax system for that and use the zeiss for normal and wide angle lenses where rangefinders really start to shine so I hear.
Old 16th December 2008, 10:43 PM
Friend

You're in good company Kenneth. A certain Mr Hicks is a committed Leica RF fan. He says that one of the great things about it for candid street photography is that people think you've just got it out of a charity shop for a fiver and therefore you are harmless. Sometimes things that look like bazookas(F5 with 300mm lens) are perceived as dangerous but a slim Leica, well where's the harm? is thought of most people.

Mike
Old 16th December 2008, 10:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by percepts View Post
I have my eye on a zeiss ikon. Problem is justifying the expense of a complete new system and finding the dosh to pay for a set of lenses. Problem is I like short tele lenses and I'm not convinced that a range finder is so good for 85 to 135 lenses due to such a small framing area. So I would have to keep the contax system for that and use the zeiss for normal and wide angle lenses where rangefinders really start to shine so I hear.
I would agree. A rangefinder camera is in it's element fitted with, say a 24mm up to a 90mm. beyond the the framelines are quite small and I take your point about having two different systems. Not good in my experience and also Leica has dropped it's R models after Photokina and now only offers an S2 which is a big chunky digital beast. In M series only the M7 and MP remain in film cameras. I have tried an R8 which was good but I would be a little unsure about going down that route

Regards Kenneth
Old 16th December 2008, 11:02 PM
Friend

The rangefinder is a wonderful concept, particularly for street photography. With the right eye looking through the camera viewfinder and the left eye viewing the wider world ever watchful on what may unfold.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 17th December 2008, 09:59 AM
Friend

I have a Bessa R3a with the 40mm Nokoton Lens.
The viewfinder is the best bit as it is 1:1 and lends itself to keeping both eyes open allowing the user to almost become part of the scene he is viewing.
I also bought an Olympus 35RC rangefinder for £18 on e-bay and find it a joy to use. It goes most places with me.
Old 17th December 2008, 07:15 PM
Friend

The Zeiss Ikon gets great reviews: http://theonlinephotographer.com/the...log_index.html a Leica beater - well.... I'd seriously consider one being attached to my glasses too!
Old 17th December 2008, 07:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRadford View Post
The Zeiss Ikon gets great reviews: http://theonlinephotographer.com/the...log_index.html a Leica beater - well.... I'd seriously consider one being attached to my glasses too!
I would agree Carl the Zeiss Ikon you mentioned does get good reviews. There has always been healthy competition between the two premier German companies but Leica gets my vote for longevity and overall computability within the M system and the earlier Leica screw system. Let us not forget Nikon who produced some excellent viewfinder models up to the Millenium
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s3_2000_klein.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	81  

Regards Kenneth
Old 17th December 2008, 07:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRadford View Post
I think this is a pretty good write up on the ZI as it is called by many so as not to confuse with older Zeiss Ikons.

http://elekm.net/zeiss_ikon/pages/intro.html
Old 17th December 2008, 10:04 PM
Friend

I have a friend who bought a Voigtlander Bessa as a second body to his M6 which I think is a good cost saving move. If one accepts that with Leica it is all about the optics, I am not totally 100% convince about that argument, then using Leica glass on the Voigtlander is not a bad idea

Regards Kenneth
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies