Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th February 2011, 01:18 AM
Friend

Default Lo-fi Photography

So, as part of my "on-going" (re-)education and experimentation in photography, I've just entered into Lo-fi Photography. Which of course is due in no small part to this forum!

I must say, it wasn't easy trying to sell it to the wife why, after years of building up professional and pedigree equipment, that I wanted to now go in the totally opposite direction!

Anyway, while reading around the subject a few things struck me;
1. I had absolutely no idea how popular Lo-fi Photography is. Just try checking out the Lomography website for starters (I've used the b&w tag as these kind of images are what got me started).

2. I wasn't aware and to be quite honest it surprised me to find established photographers like Michael Kenna seriously involved with such "toy" cameras (all created with a Holga no less!).

3. It seems quite rational that the users of these, many would say, slightly "pathetic" looking and "disposable" cameras do a great deal to sustain what's left of the film based photographic industry. And that in some small way, we may owe some gratitude towards such communities.

To wrap-up;
What views does anyone have on Lo-fi Cameras and Photography?

And the new additions to my family, from left to right in the attached photo;
Mudan MD-1 Haking A1 Seagull 203-i Lubitel 2 Lubitel 166B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4637.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1037  

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 24th February 2011, 04:58 AM
Friend

G'day Marty

I had a quick look at the Kenna images. They are outstanding and reinforce my long held belief that it's not the gear but the vision that makes strong images.

I personally prefer hand made options of what you call Lo-fi Photography, pinhole, zone plate, simple lens and paper neg.
Old 24th February 2011, 06:15 AM
Friend

Marty - if you're interested in it, I can also heartily recommend getting yourself an old box camera as well. I have an Agfa which I picked up for about £10 - 6x9 negatives, solid, easily portable and a blast to use handheld AND on a tripod - absolutely nobody takes you seriously too. You can also get similar results by hacking those old compacts you find in charity shops. If I really want the lo-fi look, but with precision using a Rolleinar on a Rollei for subjects that aren't close-ups works beautifully.
Please excuse the scans . . .they're just examples from 3 different cameras.
Have fun . . . it can be kind of liberating.
Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Agfa box.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Halina compact panoramic pinhole.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rolleinar.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1040  
Old 24th February 2011, 07:58 AM
Friend

Marty - I agree with you. I know many "photographers" denigrate and/or sneer at the Holgas et al. But, there is now a whole new generation starting to use film and also moving on to do their own developing and printing. Many of them come via their mobile phone cameras and the apps available for editing images in-camera.

Like it or not, the way the lo-fi camera manufacturere have done their marketing and targeting of a particular generation has been very successful.

You only have to go on some of the Blogging sites to see how popular this photography is and the spin off is that so many move on to second hand and more feature rich film cameras. TLR's are seeing a bit of a resurgence with the Holga generation too. I am on Tumblr and I get a lot of email from a younger generation asking about camera systems and starting processing their own film.

It reminds me of the Box Brownie generation or even the Trip 35 generation.
Old 24th February 2011, 09:15 AM
Friend

I also agree 100% about the use of toy and lo-fi cameras to create images. the image has always been the most important thing to me and not apparatus it was made with. I have several oldies to play with sometime (boxes and folders) and I hope that will be soon.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 24th February 2011, 09:51 AM
Friend

I too love these cameras it is also a great way also to get into MF cheaply. Silverprint now has quite a large range on its website, well worth a look HERE
Old 24th February 2011, 11:31 AM
Friend

You have made a valid point about the contribution to film based photography form the "Lo-fi" cameras, anything that promotes photography is good in my book.

And it has always been known that it's not the camera, it's what you do with it. Depending on what you are after the camera is just a tool, and which type you use will depend on a particular look or project.

Neil
Old 24th February 2011, 12:22 PM
Friend

I am 100% in agreement wit lo fi photography, it is never the camera that produces the image, it is the person behind the camera, I have, I suppose, what can be called lo fi cameras, such as my Bessa 66 from 1938, with an uncoated Voigter lens, soft but takes nice photos,and different to other cameras in my collection,and anything that gets new comers to film based photography has got to be good,Richard
Old 24th February 2011, 02:07 PM
Friend

Location: I live in central Massachusetts in the town of Barre (sounds like Barry).

As many have said it isn't the equipment that makes a good photo. A fellow instructor uses Holga and a pinhole camera almost exclusively and his work is beautiful. His secret is that he put in enough time learning his equipment so he can get the most out of it.

Paul
Old 24th February 2011, 06:06 PM
Friend

I too like using low tech cameras. My favourite is the Zero 2000 pinhole, no viewfinder, fixed f138 aperture, you just put it on a tripod, point it in the direction of something interesting and slide open the simple shutter which covers the pinhole. It's amazing what you can get with these cameras.

Mark
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies