Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd January 2021, 01:27 PM
Friend

Default Origins of Ilford's FP and HP film names

Every now and then, I've wondered about how Ilford's FP and HP film names came about.

So, just now, whilst I wondered, I searched and found the answers!

I have only done a quick search, so there's bound to be a lot more out there, but I've not found so much about FP films, whose full title was, 'Fine Grain Panchromatic' film. The ASA / ISO of these films started out at a much lower speed that the ones we use today and initially only photographic plates were manufactured.

Check out the information on the right hand side of the screen at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilford_FP

HP films full title was, 'Hypersensitive Panchromatic' films and started in 1931. As above, the first film was not numbered, so was called Ilford HP film, before going through various versions, right up to HP5+ that we have today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilford_HP

Further information about both films, with dates and a lot more, can be found here:

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Il...hronology.html

With the very slow speeds, I wonder how many digital, or even film users today, would have taken up the process in it's early stages, with much lower film speeds, bigger and heavier cameras and tripods and probably a lot more care required to get a satisfactory end product?

Terry S
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:48 PM
Friend

Thanks for that Terry , I have often wondered myself but always forgot to find out

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:21 PM
Friend

Very Interest Terry thanks for that

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:41 PM
Friend

Brings back memories, I remember using hp3 refills, quite a bit cheaper to buy the refill and reload the cassettes, when they made casettes that you could, Thanks Terry for the memories of my youth, in those days every penny counted, and I could afford 2 refills compared to one cassette, so sould take more photographs
Richard
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Brings back memories, I remember using hp3 refills, quite a bit cheaper to buy the refill and reload the cassettes, when they made casettes that you could.
Richard
The trouble with the old style cassettes that you could reload was that the cassettes would occasionally unexpectedly open if you dropped them on the floor.

I remember both myself and friends would occasionally have the mishap of drop a cassette and have it spring open, if the cassette landed on the plastic reel protrusion.

The advantage of these cassettes was that you could easily open them with your teeth - without the need of purpose made cassette openers.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies