Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th April 2015, 12:18 PM
Friend

Default Bronica 105 PE Macro

I am considering getting a 105 PE Macro lens for my ETRSI. At the moment I am using an E28 ext. tube with a 75 PE. Its ok, but the depth of field is truly shallow, not covering the whole fungi for instance.
Does anyone use the 105? If so, does it have a greater depth of field at 1:1 than 2-3mm?

Cheers in advance,

Diz
Old 17th April 2015, 01:21 PM
Friend

I don't have a 105, but with a pucker macro lens the DOF should be a bit more, but you may find that you can't get as close as you can with the extension tube, but even then at 1:1 the DOF will be very shallow indeed, so you may not get much more than a few inches, (Sorry I still think in ft and ins), the best is to use slow shutter speeds and stop the lens down to the max, I believe F22, but you should be able to cover a whole fungi with the lens stopped well down, For studio/macro work I use my Rolleis with the Roleinar 1 or 2 close up lenses, and the DOF is very shallow indeed, especialy with the Rolleinar 2 attached, a matter of inches, but at 16 or 22 I can get enough DOF for flowers Etc, so try stopping down as much as possible, use a faster film if possible, and see how it goes
Richard
Old 17th April 2015, 02:53 PM
Friend

Sadly, the laws of Physics can't be broken. The DOF at 1:1 and a given aperture is immutable, whatever the focal length at infinity. The bigger the sensor, the worse the problem. The tiny sensors in mobile phones give amazing DOF at a fixed aperture of f/4.0 or f/5.6.
Old 17th April 2015, 04:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
Sadly, the laws of Physics can't be broken. The DOF at 1:1 and a given aperture is immutable, whatever the focal length at infinity. The bigger the sensor, the worse the problem. The tiny sensors in mobile phones give amazing DOF at a fixed aperture of f/4.0 or f/5.6.
What Sensor? surely you mean film, Yes, the larger the image the smaller the DOF , especialy with close up, when working with my Rollei's and the rolleinar's I have to be very careful to get it right, the 2 is really tight, but with care and a small aperture you can pull it off, and with a bronica you have an advantage in that you can check the DOF, with the lever on the lens, I don't have that luxury,
Richard
Old 17th April 2015, 07:45 PM
Friend

Thanks Richard and Jo. I sometimes use a C330 for getting in close. But with the para mender and tripod head getting low can be charecter building.

Cheers

Diz
Old 18th April 2015, 10:30 AM
Friend

Having wandered around the interweb unsuccessfully, found this calculator.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...calculator.htm
Film formats are catered for below the digi camera types. It seems that the DOF on 105/645 is quite limited.

Cheers

Diz
Old 18th April 2015, 12:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
What Sensor? surely you mean film,
Sorry, yes I should have written image. The problem of stopping-down is that the image becomes blurred due to diffraction at the diaphragm edges.
Old 20th April 2015, 05:59 AM
Friend

As mentioned, you are going to struggle with any lens to achieve decent macro depth of field. Changing lens is unlikely to fix this.

I've seen some amazing digital images achieved using focus stacking - basically taking multiple images at different depths, and using photoshop/whatever to cross fade between the different images to choose the one with the best focus at each point. This is I think of interest to scientists recording what they see down microscopes, but maybe of questionable use for artistic purposes.

So I think you are probably left with being clever with your composition to 'flatten' the image area of interest to a small DOF.
Old 23rd April 2015, 04:25 PM
Friend

Thank you for the reply's. Had a wander round flicker and found some nice images made with the 105mm. However, I think I'll stick with the extension tube for the time being.
Cheers
Diz
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies