Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th August 2018, 05:35 PM
Friend

Default Tony Vaccaro at Emulsive.org

This is an excellent interview with a wonderful photographer:

https://emulsive.org/interviews/inte...y-i-shoot-film

There are a few powerful images here. Well worth a look and a read.

Enjoy!
Svend
Old 8th August 2018, 06:25 PM
Friend

Thanks Svend. I'm looking forward to reading this when I get a spare moment.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 9th August 2018, 12:08 PM
Friend

Just finished reading the article and looking at the pictures. Well worth checking out.

Terry S
Old 10th August 2018, 06:53 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry. Even better is this documentary about Vaccaro from HBO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JupHqsAFFfw

I haven't watched it in its entirety as yet (1:10 hrs. long), but will finish it this weekend.

Best,
Svend
Old 11th August 2018, 04:30 PM
Friend

watch out for the annoying pop up window spoils the experience.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 11th August 2018, 04:45 PM
Friend

Mitch, try turning on the pop-up blocker in your browser. That should do it. I had no pop-up when I viewed it. Hope that works...
Old 11th August 2018, 09:15 PM
Friend

I started watching intending to watch maybe 30 mins and then go back later but it gripped me so much I watched it in one go. Well worth watching is probably an understatement

No pop-ups for me but I always have the pop-up blocker on. On the most trivial matter compared with the video itself, I wonder how I was able to watch it without the annoying 30 secs or so worth of advert that seem to precede any YouTube these days?

Presumably not all YouTube videos have adverts is all I can think as the reason but of late I don't think I was been able to watch even one without the obligatory pre-video advert

Mike
Old 12th August 2018, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Adverts are optional when you upload a video to youtube. Channels can enable "pre-run" adverts and get a small kickback if anyone clicks on it. Even if they enable pre-runs, you will only get a certain number of such adverts per hour (or per video watched - not sure how they measure it) so you won't always get the advert even when it is enabled for that video.

I use the uBlock Origin plugin in Firefox (also available for Chrome) and have not seen a youtube advert in years. I previously used the AdBlock Plus plugin which also works well.

Just finished watching the vid and I agree with Mike. It is well told, seems very well researched and lacks the over-excited commentary and music we often get with US documentaries - almost BBC standard . Well worth watching.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 13th August 2018, 12:03 PM
Friend

In general I am not opposed to ads. After all, the online hosting companies need to make money somehow in order to carry on business. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't get the chance to watch such documentaries, so I don't begrudge it. I am grateful for the chance to view films I would almost never be able to see on TV, and any time, any where, for free. Besides, it's much less annoying to watch a single ad at the beginning of an hour-long film, than be interrupted by ads every five minutes watching it on television (do UK channels do that too?).

Glad you guys liked the film. Very compelling, isn't it?

Best,
Svend

Last edited by Svend; 13th August 2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 13th August 2018, 01:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post
Besides, it's much less annoying to watch a single ad at the beginning of an hour-long film, than be interrupted by ads every five minutes watching it on television (do UK channels do that too?)....
As a licence condition, UK commercial channels have a 47-minute hour for content, the balance being commercials. They are just as annoying as in the US (or Canada?). We just get used to them...
Thankfully we have the free-to-air BBC TV channels, which carry no advertising and are paid for by compulsory subscription. They used to provide training for technicians and presenters and still set a standard. The BBC provides separate TV programming for children, for Welsh, Irish and Scots Gaelic speakers and broadcasts to the World in many other languages, for which it receives modest Government grants, under the budget heading 'soft power'.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies