Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th February 2013, 11:22 AM
Friend

Default De Vere 504 shutter

Just bought a 504 dichromat and have a small problem. There is a shutter in the head that is operated by a solenoid powered from the lamp circuit. The problem is it doesn't like to open but closes really well! When worked with a finger all seems smooth and free.

I have manual downloaded from the manual section but that relates to the Mk III (I think) whereas I have the Mk IV with the 500w twin lamp head. It has 2X200w lamps fitted - yep that's 200w not 250w.

What I really need is a wiring diagram and/or advice from someone who knows about these things.

It shows every sign of being as good as its reputation but just needs a few teething problems sorted - this being the most troublesome.

Off to play now so hopefully I will be able to update with good news before anyone can reply - there's a challenge
Old 18th February 2013, 05:09 PM
Friend

I would use an ohem meter to check for resistence. If no reading the solenoid needs to be replaced.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 18th February 2013, 05:48 PM
Friend

That's the way I'm going There is power to the solenoid as it tries to move - sometimes. I want to get it out and give it a thorough going over but not tonight as I need another allen key to remove the filter on/off knob. I bought one today to remove the leaver on the solenoid and hoped it was 'one size fits all'.

It's quite fun trying to buy the right size allen key when you don't know what the right size is

Tim
Old 20th February 2013, 03:52 PM
Friend

Tim,

I'd have thought Odyssey will be able to advise as to what tools are required, and also what is likely to need replacing/repairing.
Old 20th February 2013, 11:42 PM
Friend

Quick update

Solenoid removed and tested - if not dead then very very ill. Not expected to recover [insert mournful smilie]

Supplier is awaiting a response from Odyssey.

The other thing it does is produce not much light with a yellow cast. Tonight I removed the mixing box and used a different light source. White light goes in, yellow light comes out. Careful inspection and cleaning has made a very marginal improvement in the colour. What is really odd is when the defuser is tested out of the box it transmits nice clean white light. There is no discolouration to the polystyrene (that was a shock) liner ad the dichroic heat shields are fine. Only when everything is put together does it turn yellow.

I quite enjoy the problem solving but I need to use it now. It's so big I had to remove my other enlargers to make way for it

Tim
Old 28th February 2013, 09:47 PM
Friend

Latest news -

We've heard from Odyssey. It goes a bit like this - You have a shutter? WOW that's rare! ^*&&% pain they are, ditch the solenoid and leave the shutter open.

In response to the good news I'd got a print out of it - 7X5 on Kentmere 95 seconds at f8 - they suggested trying another power supply. That will arrive Monday. Hopefully then all will be well
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies