Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th March 2009, 01:19 PM
Friend

Default Ilford Delta 3200

I've just tested this film with several developers which included pmk, HC110, Perceptol and Microphen.
In another place someone said stock perceptol was good with this film and Ilford give a time for it at 3200 so I tried it at EI 3200 and the result was useless. The speed was barely EI 400. Won't be trying that again.

PMK resulted in big grain and not enough speed so that's been consigned to the bin again.

I had high hopes of HC110 working well but even at dilution A (1+15) the speed was barely 800.

So the winner by a country mile was Micropehn stock at Ilfords given time of 9 mins using EI 3200.

Infact at EI 3200 the curve looks very much as though the speed is 1600 or below. But if you look at the chart below, you will see that if you only use from zone I thru zone IX then at EI 3200 you get a very useable and predicatable curve. That is, you get 8 stops of range which prints exactly onto a grade 2 paper. And when you consider that low light subjects often have low contrast, then you can see where Ilford get their 3200 name for this film. It will work quite happily at EI 3200 as its name suggests.
Click image for larger version

Name:	D3200.gif
Views:	517
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	177
Old 10th March 2009, 01:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by percepts View Post
Perceptol and Microphen.
In another place someone said stock perceptol was good with this film and Ilford give a time for it at 3200 so I tried it at EI 3200 and the result was useless. The speed was barely EI 400. Won't be trying that again.

So the winner by a country mile was Micropehn stock at Ilfords given time of 9 mins using EI 3200.
Infact at EI 3200 the curve looks very much as though the speed is 1600 or below. It will work quite happily at EI 3200 as its name suggests.
Attachment 177
The true ISO of that film is around 1250, so this is not surprising. It works well at EI.3200 as does Kodak P3200TMZ due to the very long toe. It`s not a film I have much use for, but when I do use it, I expose the film at EI.1250 and process it for EI.3200
in undiluted D-76.
Old 10th March 2009, 02:13 PM
Friend

If I wanted a full 10 stop range, then I would more than likely use EI 1250 too. But it depends on the lighting conditions at hand. Indoors with low contrast, then 3200 should work better.
Old 10th March 2009, 02:18 PM
Friend

And Microphen is probably a stop faster than ID11.
Old 10th March 2009, 08:58 PM
Friend

If you haven't already tried the combo of D3200 and DDX you might want to compare it to Microphen, always assuming that it isn't essentially the same stuff in liquid form compared to powder and my chemistry knowledge is far too absymal to say whether it is or not. Anyway there isn't often a consensus of opinion on another famour analogue site when it comes to film and dev combos but D3200 and DDX seemed to be the exception. Most however suggest that the dev time for the next speed up is used

My experience of DDX and D3200 has been once only and at EI1600 and develop for 3200 time. If anything it could have done with slightly longer, I felt but maybe this was because it is low contrast film. Overall I had fair results.

It might have been me on another site that referred to using Perceptol and having "good" results with Perceptol at EI 3200. I can't recall the exact word I used.

Certainly the grain was noticeably finer than ID11. It was a stock solution I used and it gets expensive this way. I developed for a friend and the negs looked OK with a reasonable amount of shadow detail but that may have been my inexperience or his "faulty" exposure methods which effectively resulted in his exposing it at a lower speed.

I still find it strange that a developer which normally reduces film speed by up to a stop should have a time listed for D3200 and at EI 3200.

Mike
Old 10th March 2009, 09:57 PM
Friend

DD-X is a one shot version of LC29. Essentially the same as far as I understand.
Old 11th March 2009, 12:01 AM
Friend

Oops, I should have said a one shot version of DD which is Ilfords Dip and Dunk replenishable developer. But it was touted as a specially formulated developer for T grain films.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies