Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd January 2015, 10:50 AM
Friend

Default Yamamoto Masao - Small Things in Silence

A Christmas present to myself 'Small things in Silence' is a valued addition to my collection - I must soon get some more book shelves. This book is nicely presented, cloth bound, gold tooling with an inset photo on the cover. Two short essays as an introduction with one by Yamamoto himself, describing his philosophy. I have been intrigued by post war Japanese photography for a while, as I feel many Japanese photographers have a particular and, to western eyes, refreshing way of 'seeing'. See also, the work from the 'Provoke' era such as Daido Moriyma and, more recently, Rinko Kawauchi. Yamamoto's photographs are made charmingly small, much like haiku poems and are seen as precious, quiet, tea stained objects. This is a photographer who prefers whispering his messages 'in a soft voice instead of speaking them out loud'. Every page is a delight.

Last edited by Martyn; 3rd January 2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 15th January 2015, 09:03 PM
Friend

A wonderful gem of a book and a very 'gentle' but evolved body of work. Well worth viewing.

David.
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies