Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd September 2020, 11:55 AM
Friend

Default NEW instant film holder for 5 x 4 cameras

Yes, you've read the title correctly.

Just check out what has just been announced on the Lomography website:

https://shop.lomography.com/en/lomo-...ack?country=gb

Terry S
Old 2nd September 2020, 01:44 PM
Friend

Looks interesting Terry. For my non existent knowledge of Instax film, how does this back operate? It mentions an automatic film advance and needs 4 AA batteries Do both these thing indicate that what goes in the back is a pack of 4x5 films which are ejected one by one after exposure then peeled apart to reveal post the peeling action a developed 4x5 colour film?

Thanks

Mike
Old 2nd September 2020, 02:04 PM
Friend

It uses Instax Wide instant film Mike.

https://www.instax.co.uk/instax-products/wide-300/

It’s a film pack that sits inside the back, the back ejects it in the same way that a Fuji Instax camera would, no peel apart, it develops in front of your eyes
Old 2nd September 2020, 02:06 PM
Friend

Sorry Mike, but I probably know about as much about it as you, apart from...

The film size quoted is a bit smaller than 5 x 4 itself at 99 mm × 62 mm and I believe the finished print is ejected, which then develops outside the back, with nothing to peel off / apart.

I went to the Fuji site to check out the price of the required film, but this gave me 3 pages and 22 options of various film sizes and colour / b/w combinations, so I'm a little confused at the moment, as to which film is required. From the google ads though, Argos seem to be the cheapest supplier of the Instax film, at about £15 for 20 shots / pictures.

I will be interested though, to read the first few reviews, probably from known photographic people, to basically promote it.

Terry S

PS Dave has just got in there in front of me, and I am now aware what film it takes. Thanks Dave.

Last edited by Terry S; 2nd September 2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 2nd September 2020, 02:31 PM
Friend

Black and white

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/fujifi...YaAvvvEALw_wcB

Or colour (Twin pack)

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/fujifi...-twin-1548103/
Old 2nd September 2020, 03:14 PM
Friend

Now that I know the format of the film required Dave, just checking, it appears that Argos doesn't stock the film required and it was showing me the wrong film initially.

And I'm sure another member will soon find an ever cheaper price than Wex's, but either way we've all got to wait until (the estimated time of) April 2021 before we can put it to use, when the film back is released.

Terry S
Old 2nd September 2020, 04:04 PM
Friend

Intuitively I'd expect the colour film to cost more but at the stockist that Dave links to(thanks Dave) the b&w is actually more expensive per sheet as for some strange reason it isn't sold as a twin pack

Mike
Old 2nd September 2020, 05:58 PM
Friend

Cost apart. I wonder how long the fuji film will be around for?
It would be a shame to order a back and by the time it's received, the film's been discontinued!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 2nd September 2020, 06:27 PM
Friend

According to a posting on the Large Format Photography group it's Fujifilm's biggest money spinner (large bag of salt).
Old 2nd September 2020, 07:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collas View Post
According to a posting on the Large Format Photography group it's Fujifilm's biggest money spinner (large bag of salt).
The problem these days is that most things in the film scene are rosy and getting rosier, allegedly. There may well be some rosiness but the problem is sorting out the real rosy bits in the garden from the rest. This is getting harder to do in my experience and groups/forums unless relatively small such as ours hold a whole spectrum of "statements" on the state of almost everything

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies