Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th February 2012, 12:42 PM
Friend

Question MOD54 Film Holder - Anyone Using One ?

On the forum recently, there has been much discussion about the MOD54 Film Holder (http://www.mod54.com/index.php)

Is there anyone actually using one who would case to share their experiences ?

Thanks

Martin
Old 5th February 2012, 01:25 PM
Friend

Yes, but I've only done practice runs so far with mine which I modified as discussed HERE.
I have loaded it with old film sheets and filled the tank with one litre of water. Gentle inversions of the sort that I would normally use, that is each taking about a second to complete, resulted in two sheets becoming dislodged and sticking to their neighbours. Repeating the process and giving about twenty spins, in alternating directions, with the stick did not dislodge any of the sheets.
Old 5th February 2012, 02:34 PM
Friend

Yes, Martin, I purchased a holder and have processed 4 times with it. I found it pretty easy to load correctly after only a couple of dry runs as long as you run your fingers down the side of the sheets to check spacing is ok (as recommended, I think). I had one case where a sheet dislodged and stuck to the side of the tank using inversion agitation, but it still came out good. Whichever agitation is used, rotary or inversion, it needs to be gentle.
I think it is a very good product: better and more economic than any square tank type I have used which suffer from prolonged emptying and filling stages and use much more volume. I can live with one dislodged sheet out of 24 and put it down to user error. Perhaps the only minus point is that it feels a little fragile so I do handle it carefully.
Regards, Mark Walker.
Old 5th February 2012, 08:58 PM
Friend

It looks easier to load than the Jobo 6-sheet holders for 2500 series tanks, which I use. The warnings (above) about film dislodging would be a concern.
Old 9th February 2012, 01:29 PM
Friend

Yes, I've used it.

Easy enough to load with a little practise. My problem is that sheets dislodge from the holder during, presumably, agitation.

Perhaps my agitiation technique requires revision.

Othwerwise, it's a clever idea.
Niall
Old 11th February 2012, 09:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall Bell View Post
Yes, I've used it.

Easy enough to load with a little practise. My problem is that sheets dislodge from the holder during, presumably, agitation.

Perhaps my agitation technique requires revision.

Othwerwise, it's a clever idea.
Niall
It seems the use of the Paterson Twiddle Stick seems to be the answer - as recommended by Dave further up this thread.

There is lots of sail area with a 5x4 Neg and with a tank full of fluid sloshing about, the film is likely to pop out very easily if inversion is used.

How have you found the uniformity of the developing process ?

Martin
Old 12th February 2012, 12:03 AM
Friend

I have had one for eighteen months and I have developed a lot of film with it.
The best small tank method by miles. Easy to load and the Paterson tank means fast filling so even development.
Agitation is not a problem, you just need to be careful. I gently lay it down and stand it up instead of a full inversion and that seems to work fine.
I have never had a sheet come off and have never had any problems with uneven development.
If you develop 5x4 then you should have one of these.
Old 11th April 2012, 04:01 PM
Friend

I managed to get out this morning with my 5x4 and exposed some film, Kodak Tmax400. I’ve just finished developing the first six sheets in my modified MOD54 and thought I should report back on that aspect of the exercise. I found the loading of the sheets into the holder to be quite easy and it’s also easy to feel the edges of the sheets to ensure that they are correctly located in the grooves. I used the Paterson twizzel stick to rotate give three movements in each direction every 30 seconds of the developing and fixing times – no inversions apart from pouring fluids out. As far as I can see from wet negatives development appears even – rubbish content of course, but even development.
So I'm happy with this product.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies