Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th November 2013, 09:30 AM
Friend

wiesmier:- Thanks for your info., looks as if I might get a few snaps. Bit worried about being a tourist though, do you think there might come a time when we will need a visa to visit?
I have kept an eye from time to time on your web page and blogs which I find unique, entertaining and informative. I was talking to Dave Miller the other day and we both agree you should be turning all that material you have into books, both writing and photos. It is such a unique record of life on the islands as it is, not as shown in the glossy magazines. It would be tragic if all your material was lost for future generations. You have a treasure chest in your hands.

Tony
Old 14th November 2013, 10:55 AM
Friend

Default Harris

Wild camped at Husinis beach (public toilet and a tap for water nothing else), great walks just around the corner, stars at night worth waiting up for. Take a very heavy tripod the wind can be force 8 on a sunny day. I traveled across to Harris (Tarbet) from Uig on Sky, there is a B&B handy for the ferry Davd & Anne Healey +44 (o) 1470 542316 www.holiday-skye.co.uk I can also recommend a book by Cicerone, Walking on Harris and Lewis by Richard Barrett.

Last edited by GoodOldNorm; 14th November 2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added text
Old 14th November 2013, 12:35 PM
Friend

Ah, Richard Barrett. He has a lovely B&B at Mariag http://www.lochedge.co.uk/welcome.html
Old 24th January 2014, 06:54 AM
Friend

New news. Loch Edge B&B is for sale. If you fancy a new start!
Old 25th January 2014, 08:32 AM
Friend

You might consider hostel/bunkhouse type accomodation which gives the advantage (compared to a B&B) of being able to cook for yourself.

Ones that I have stayed in and highly recommend on Lewis and Harris are:

Number 5 Drinishader - handy for the Harris golden road http://www.number5.biz/

Rhenigidale - http://www.gatliff.org.uk/?page_id=11 - quiet and remote

Galson Farm - http://www.galsonfarm.co.uk/guesthou...is_hostel.html - on the way to the superb cliff scenery at the Butt of Lewis

Kershader on Loch Erisort - http://www.syha.org.uk/hostels-in-sc...kershader.aspx

Further south on Berneray, with lovely beaches, is the Berneray Gatliff Trust Hostel - http://www.gatliff.org.uk/?page_id=9

I second the recommendation for the Butty Bus at Leverburgh which provided the only food I could find on a Sunday. Also the small cafe at Island Arts in Ballalan is handy.

Outside of Stornoway, the eating places are relatively few and spaced out and you need to plan ahead - if you just head out for the day assuming you will find somewhere to eat you may go hungry (more of an issue when cycling or walking rather than driving).
Old 27th January 2014, 05:18 PM
Friend

Thanks for the info. Kevin, we are now booked in for June and your comments have been added to my list of what to do and prepare for.
From what you say it seems wise to take lunch with us for days out.
Thanks again

Tony
Old 27th January 2014, 09:14 PM
Friend

Tony,
Depends where you go as to whether there are places to eat. In the week, there are plenty of places all over the island of Harris/Lewis. From Leverburgh, Northton, on the Golden Road, Tarbert, Callanish, to Butt of lewis, Stornoway [where the excellent new Bridge Centre cafe is a must] and elsewhere too. On Sunday there is much less choice. Mainly Hotels like The Hebrides Hotel in Tarbert [great food], HS2 restaurant in the Royal Hotel in Stornoway and the Loch Erisort inn near Ballallen. And the kettle might be on if you are up my way too. [North Tolsta].
Old 28th January 2014, 02:38 PM
Friend

Thanks wiesmier, I have added your info to the list. I would like to take up your offer of a cup of tea, it will be during week beginning 7th June.

Tony
Old 28th January 2014, 06:52 PM
Friend

Oh!
I'm out that day Tony

of course it will be lovely to see you.
Just message me to remind me please :-) Brain like a sieve and all that!
Old 28th January 2014, 07:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Just message me to remind me please :-) Brain like a sieve and all that!
Will do, you are lucky to have a brain, you must tell me whait is like to have one.

I will have to find skellum too, I think I owe him a drink.

Tony
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies