Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th January 2019, 01:48 PM
Friend

Default Praktica - perhaps not

I am running out of storage space for any more cameras.

Apart from my Nikon's I also use Minolta's, a superb Autocord med format, an XE1 and an XM plus enough of lenses 24mm to 135. Does anyone need more? Well I could use a 200 and a 300 but they are not essential.
Old 27th January 2019, 02:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
Also like to thank Skellum, Rob and John king for your support of the camera. I think reading between the lines you all need to pick up a Praktica and joint the club
Prakticas were wonderful cameras, and sold at very good prices thanks to East Germany needing foreign currency, over the years I have had several, both M42 and Praktisca Bayonet mount. mostly with Zeiss lenses. but also Sigma, who made a range in the Praktica mount, including the last camera they made in the late 80's before German reunifaction, which led to the downfall of the Praktica cameras, they could not sell anywhere near the cheap prices as nthey had to compete, and they could not compete with Japenese prices, but towards the end they were developing an AF camera, which sadky nerver came to market, with a Japanese maker, sadly they are now part of Film camera history, Every film user should have a Praktica at some point, These days I do not use SLR's, prefering old ramgefinders and MF folders and old Tlr's, but if I did use slr's I would almost certainly be looking for a good usable Praktica
Richard
Old 31st January 2019, 09:54 AM
Friend

A bit of an update after a lot of clicking about I have solved a number of the problems. First, the camera now has a new battery and working light meter. which was sourced from Bristol cameras and was less expensive than anywhere else by £5.50 while I was there I picked an 80-200 zoom lens for next to nowt. this was far less expensive than the broken 50mm lens offerings on the ebay.
I was was shocked when it arrived to see that it is mint condition so much so I think it is unused it works that well.
The fly in all this is the foam I will have to buy some not from ebay (I did try but was mucked about by the seller) and cut it myself to size.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.

Last edited by photomi7ch; 31st January 2019 at 09:56 AM. Reason: should read what I write
Old 31st January 2019, 04:40 PM
Friend

I have an MTL3 in good condition except for the meter, which doesn't bother me. If you haven't yet got a 50mm lens it's worth getting a Helios 44; these are very plentiful as they came with Zenith's and often last even when the Zenith has expired. They are well known for producing swirly background in the right conditions. I also have an M42 Tamron Adaptall mount so can use any of my Adaptall lenses on the Praktica (or Olympus or Pentax K or Minolta or Mamiya Z or Canon FD cameras)
Old 31st January 2019, 05:51 PM
Friend

Default Quality Control

Many years ago one of the Magazines that existed then (around 1990, possibly earlier) printed a quite long article on the manufacture of Practica models. They took you though the manufacture of all the major component parts. Main chassis, base plate, top plate, shutter etc etc, you get the idea.As the camera was assembled you could see it gradually taking shape.

Eventually before it was finally completed it went to to the quality control section and if it passed - great, it progressed to final assembly and fitted with a lens. If it didn't make the grade, the action was final and fairly dramatic, 'cos the girl on the assembly line gave it one great thump with something resembling a 4 pound lump hammer and consigned it to a bin!

There was no attempt at retrieval of the bits that went to make it up, it was just damaged beyond any use.
Old 31st January 2019, 05:54 PM
Friend

Default Quality Control

Many years ago one of the Magazines that existed then (around 1990) printed a quite long article on the manufacture of Practica models. They took you though the assembly of all the major component parts. Main chassis, base plate, top plate, shutter etc etc, you get the idea.As the camera was assembled you could see it gradually taking shape.

Eventually before it was finally completed it went to to the quality control section and if it passed - great, it progressed to final assembly and fitted with a lens. If it didn't make the grade, the action was final and fairly dramatic, 'cos the girl on the assembly line gave it one great thump with something resembling a 4 pound lump hammer and consigned it to a bin!

There was no attempt at retrieval of the bits that went to make it up it was just damaged beyond any use.
Old 31st January 2019, 07:14 PM
Friend

Mitch I have instruction books for an MTL5 and LTL Prakticas which I no longer need. If they would be any use to you send me a PM with your address and I will post them to you.

Tony
Old 3rd February 2019, 10:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAllan View Post
I have an MTL3 in good condition except for the meter, which doesn't bother me. If you haven't yet got a 50mm lens it's worth getting a Helios 44; these are very plentiful as they came with Zenith's and often last even when the Zenith has expired. They are well known for producing swirly background in the right conditions. I also have an M42 Tamron Adaptall mount so can use any of my Adaptall lenses on the Praktica (or Olympus or Pentax K or Minolta or Mamiya Z or Canon FD cameras)
Hi Kevin, my first thought was to find an adaptall 2 mount. At the time I was purchasing the camera but they did not have any in there odds box. It would allow me to use some of the lenses I have for my Nikon.

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 3rd February 2019, 10:56 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
Mitch I have instruction books for an MTL5 and LTL Prakticas which I no longer need. If they would be any use to you send me a PM with your address and I will post them to you.

Tony
Thank you Tony PM sent.

Old 3rd February 2019, 10:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Many years ago one of the Magazines that existed then (around 1990) printed a quite long article on the manufacture of Practica models. They took you though the assembly of all the major component parts. Main chassis, base plate, top plate, shutter etc etc, you get the idea.As the camera was assembled you could see it gradually taking shape.

There was no attempt at retrieval of the bits that went to make it up it was just damaged beyond any use.
The girl who did the quality control must have been very satisfied at the end of the day getting ride of all that aggression

Tags
battery, foam mtl3, praktica
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies