Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th September 2012, 01:35 PM
Friend

Default Hello from Kirkintilloch

Just a quick note to say hello from the North side of Glasgow. Been taking pictures for longer than I care to mention and since I find myself involuntarily retired:-( I've decided to have a go on film after many years. I seem to have bought a couple of Canon A1 bodies and a few primes and getting quite expert at renewing light seals and oiling squeaks! The developing tank has been bought, chemicals are on the way and soon hope to be processing my first film in 40 years!

I suspect I'm going to be stuck with digital printing for a while as a darkroom would not be allowed by domestic management, however since I seem to be failing miserably to get a black and white print out of the printer that really is black and white I must start scheming!

All the Best

Pete
Old 25th September 2012, 03:19 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Welcome to the forum Pete.

You must definitely start scheming, there is no substitute for a proper Silver print.

Bill
Old 25th September 2012, 03:28 PM
Friend

Hi Pete and welcome, Try being extra helpful around the house, and flowers and chocs, mabe an exitra pressy or 3, works for me, crfeeping works for me,
Richard
Old 25th September 2012, 03:43 PM
Friend

Welcome to FADU, Pete!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 25th September 2012, 03:53 PM
Friend

Welcome.
And don't miss Mark Steel's visit !
Old 25th September 2012, 06:35 PM
Friend

The scheming is starting I may just be able to get away with something if it is a temporary installation that can be put away easily. Going to take a lot of chocolate & flowers though.

Cheers

Pete

PS
Mark Steel as in the author/comedian?
Old 25th September 2012, 07:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemcarthur View Post
The scheming is starting I may just be able to get away with something if it is a temporary installation that can be put away easily. Going to take a lot of chocolate & flowers though.

Cheers

Pete

PS
Mark Steel as in the author/comedian?

yup. He's coming over here too - but we will be on the mainland at the time!
Old 25th September 2012, 07:48 PM
Friend

Hi Pete, welcome to the forum, my darkroom is a shed in the back garden, even the wife approved of building it !!!

Ian
Old 25th September 2012, 09:28 PM
Friend

Hi Pete and welcome. There are some useful bits of kit for a temp darkroom. A Nova Trimate or better still Quad processor on a movable trolley gives you processing means and a tray to hold the prints in until you can get to the kitchen or bathroom for washing. RC prints need only about two mins in a big tray in a sink with water slowly overflowing.

Similarly a small 35mm enlarger can be moved about on a trolley and with the arrival of darkness at about 7:00pm there is time to do a few prints before bedtime. Ideally the room will be windowless but if not then a thick black cloth or better still a piece of blackout material can be attached to window frame with velcro

If the other half is keen on B&W prints then once you do a few her position might well change.

Best of luck

Mike
Old 25th September 2012, 10:29 PM
Friend

Hi Pete, and welcome. There is a darkroom at Street Level Photoworks in King St, Glasgow. You need to join to use it, but I understand it is well equipped. I don't use it myself as I too have a "shed", but I met someone last year who thought it was very good. I think he developed his film at home and printed at King St. The Glasgow School of Art also does a B&W printing evening class which is really good. It usually starts in early October. Good luck with your return to real photography! Alex
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies