Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th March 2019, 08:09 AM
Friend

I have only tried the 2 Dial bulbs, one cold tone and the other, which is the 2700 warm, and I found that with the cold tone, and I can't remember the kelvin rating of it, that I could not get a full range of grades with it, the bulb I use, which gives about 100 watt equvilent to a photocresnta type, is rated at 14.5 watt, and judgeing by eye, not very professiional, but ny looks the light it gives is very much the same quality I get from a 150 watt photocresnta bulb, whatever, it works fine and I am not going to try any further, I am getting good prints from it, nit very scientific, but practical, I think your electronic timer muxt have a fault as when I tried out a basic electronic Paterson electronic timer before sending it out it worked perfectly as it does with my RH designs Analyder/pro
Richard
Old 13th March 2019, 09:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeztastic View Post
Yes a focomat. It was given to my father in law by his friend who then passed it on to me. I consider myself very lucky to have it. It is lovely to use, like so many well designed things the quality of it shows and you don't have to think about it. The auto focus is great.

Down sides - it is missing the clip for the focus ring so it is easy to knock it out of focus when changing aperture.
It doesn't have a filter drawer and I haven't found a way to attach below lens Ilford filters. The lens mount is too recessed. I have been lifting the bulb housing and dropping the filter on top of the condenser (advantage of having a nice cool LED bulb) but this would swiftly become a pain for split grade printing.

Sounds good. Beautifully engineered I bet; my Leitz Valoy 11 is.
Shame you can't use under the lens filters. I'm not familiar with your enlarger but wonder if you can't make a wooden container for under the lens filters and somehow attach it to the underside of the enlarger head. I once did this for a friend who had the same problem as you with a 5x4 De Vere.

Alan
Old 13th March 2019, 10:49 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

If the filter thread is accessible on the enlarging lens there was a suggestion on here a while ago about using a Cokin A filter holder with the Ilford filter holder glued to it.

See post 6 on this thread for some images http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...r+holder+cokin

Bill
Old 13th March 2019, 11:00 AM
Friend

[QUOTE=Richard Gould;, I think your electronic timer muxt have a fault as when I tried out a basic electronic Paterson electronic timer before sending it out it worked perfectly as it does with my RH designs Analyder/pro
Richard[/QUOTE]

It also could have something to do with the fact it is a dimmable LED which do not take kindly to non standard fitting for which it was not intended.

The best point about the LED bulb is it runs so cool, if I use it in the Opemus with the non digital readout timer, I can dispense with the glass in the carrier and that is 4 less surfaces to attract dust.

Now if I could find a LED to fit my LPL7700...….
Old 13th March 2019, 12:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
If the filter thread is accessible on the enlarging lens there was a suggestion on here a while ago about using a Cokin A filter holder with the Ilford filter holder glued to it.

See post 6 on this thread for some images http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...r+holder+cokin

Bill
Great idea... Like so many other things though it's having the time...
Old 13th March 2019, 02:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
It also could have something to do with the fact it is a dimmable LED which do not take kindly to non standard fitting for which it was not intended.

The best point about the LED bulb is it runs so cool, if I use it in the Opemus with the non digital readout timer, I can dispense with the glass in the carrier and that is 4 less surfaces to attract dust.

Now if I could find a LED to fit my LPL7700...….
I also use an Opemus 6, and certainly the coolness of the bulb is quite an advantage, I have not thought of taking out the heat glass, I don't get much if any problems with dust, but I will certainly think about removing it,
Richard
Old 13th March 2019, 06:41 PM
Friend

Last week I build a LED lightsource for my beseler 45.
I removed the cold light source and placed a plate with cree RGBW powerleds.
Yesterday evening I tested it with the split grade principal soo green for highlights and blue for the dark areas.
I have to get used this work this way, but first results look very pleasing.
Also quit short exposure times.

I got inspired by this link http://www.trippingthroughthedark.co...ment/led-head/

Last edited by Hansm; 13th March 2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 4th April 2019, 12:56 PM
Friend

Okay, I meant to report earlier...

I finally managed to get another LED bulb from B+Q, when they restocked. This being the second bulb I have bought, having previously bought a 'warm tone' one, as people on this forum said that they had good results with it, but also because 'daylight' bulbs were out of stock, which I also wanted to buy to compare.

The second bulb I bought now is rated at 4000k and rated as 'daylight'.

I have only managed to do the quickest of tests with this new bulb so far, but on grade 3 at least, it gives the same tones as using my current filament bulb AND the brightness seems to be slightly higher, so presumably that will mean shorter exposure times overall.

I intend doing a grade for grade test across the filters when I have more time.

The only thing I worry about still (although only slightly), is the wording that I have mentioned previously in the first post here, in which the wording on the packets say that, 'the light will give out 60% of its full power in less than one second'. I do wonder how this might affect test strips times compared to the actual print exposure? I wonder as there might be a small, but important difference in total exposure time = read my first post on this post to see where I'm coming from.

I will of course report back in due course.

Terry S
Old 8th April 2019, 03:19 PM
Friend

I noticed when I switch off the lights in my livingroom that there is a very dim greenish afterglow with the led bulbs. After some seconds it disappears.
Maybe something to check as well?
Old 8th April 2019, 06:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansm View Post
I noticed when I switch off the lights in my livingroom that there is a very dim greenish afterglow with the led bulbs. After some seconds it disappears.
Maybe something to check as well?
Having used LED bulbs in my enlarger for nearly 2 years now I will say they work great, from switch on there might be a fraction of a second delay, but it is negliable, using the Dial warm tone bulb, 14.5 watt equal to around 100 watts, no heat problems, works fine with my Analyser/pro,as far as any dim greenish afterglow, I don't get any that I have noticed with my main lights, all Dial LED's, (Easiest and cheapest to get over here) so I can't see any downside to them, and as far as brightness goes, certainly they appear brighter than standard bulbs, and are brighter than the 150 photocrensta that I have been using, no negative poppig, which was always a problem with standard bulbs, and they last almost forever,
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies