Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th May 2020, 06:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
I'm definitely the opposite.

...book of 20x16" prints would be rather hefty!
I hereby refuse to call anything over 8x10 a photograph

I get what you mean, but I guess I'm not that patient...we have some prints on the walls and I go through two phases with them after a month - either I don't notice them or I think what with to rotate them

Jakub
Old 7th May 2020, 08:28 PM
Friend

Default Limited editions

I had forgotten that I sold one about 2 years ago. It was of a steam locomotive in the Museum where I work (when it is open). It was, even if I say so myself a very atmospheric A3 print which I sepia toned. It was actually unique because it was it's last day 'in steam'. I put it up for sale as a mounted 20x16 framed print and asked £25 for it and it sat there for months.

I decided to try another tac and changed the sales card and called it a limited edition, which it was (and still is) I marked the back of the mount that this was the only copy and would never be printed again.

I bumped the price up to £45 and it went within a week. Was it coincidence that a buyer came along just then or the fact that the guy who bought it thought he was getting a bargain.
Old 8th May 2020, 11:53 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
.I bumped the price up to £45 and it went within a week. Was it coincidence that a buyer came along just then or the fact that the guy who bought it thought he was getting a bargain.
Whatever the reason John, I think £45 for a hand printed pictured that's mounted and framed, is a bit of a bargain!

I'm sure the buyer has it hanging on a wall somewhere, where it's looked at regularly.

I've sold a few prints of various kinds, usually just asking for the cost of materials and I personally think that us photographers greatly under value our work, when asked for a price.

Terry S
Old 8th May 2020, 03:02 PM
Friend

I have a view wall for my prints that I look at often to see if I like the way I have printed them. Pictures from the print exchange have been up on that wall. Not to be judged but to be enjoyed. Thanks to all those I have exchanged with.

A note about print sales, well know old member of this forum sells his test prints unmounted for £65 they are larger than 8 x 10 but cannot remember what size.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies