Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th February 2020, 04:19 PM
Friend

I have a Canon T90. It has a 'spot meter' function as part of the metering options. It will measure several points and average out if necessary, the results. It will also show the brightness range.
And I can use it as a camera!
Okay, the silly me feels awful now....
The serious bit is this - do you have a camera that will do this for you? If you have, then the savings on the spot meter you don't need could be spent on film and paper...
Old 14th February 2020, 04:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
I have a Canon T90. It has a 'spot meter' function as part of the metering options. It will measure several points and average out if necessary, the results. It will also show the brightness range.
And I can use it as a camera!
Okay, the silly me feels awful now....
The serious bit is this - do you have a camera that will do this for you? If you have, then the savings on the spot meter you don't need could be spent on film and paper...
I have a few cameras that will do spot metering, Miranda EE2, OM2 Spot Program, OM2000 Spot, OM3 and OM4Ti (OM3 and OM4 do multi spot metering) but I would still like to get a hand held spot meter at some point for other cameras I have.
Old 14th February 2020, 04:39 PM
Friend

Have you considered buying a Spot Meter from Japan on EBay ?

Its very simple and straight forward to but from outside the EU - EBay and PayPal make it very straight forward.

You are covered by the EBay guarantee - so read the description carefully and take a long look at the photographs of the meter - but if it isn't as shown or as stated in the advert - EBay will give you your money back.

There will be an additional customs charge to pay when they arrive (about 25% of the total cost + post office handling charge)

However, it is often cheaper to buy stuff this way than pay European prices.

One piece of advice on spotmeters - try to buy a completely digital one - those with a needle display are more prone to damage - the galvanometer in the moving needle display is a very delicate piece of equipment and does not cope with rough handling well.

For what its worth - I have a digital Pentax Spotmeter, I've had it for more than 15 years and I am only on my second battery.

Good luck

Martin

Last edited by Martin Aislabie; 14th February 2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 18th February 2020, 03:54 PM
Friend

I have a near mint (almost unused) Sekonic L-508 Zoom Master I bought new in 2003 and which has been sitting on a shelf more or less ever since! It's complete, boxed with case, instruction book and an unused strap. The metering spot is variable between 1 and 4 degrees, and it has flash and incident light measurement, multi-spot averaging etc. and is water-resistant. It's pretty much as new and there's even a battery fitted! Used ones in less than perfect condition seem to go on eBay for well over £200 so any interest at £200? P&P (inc. overseas) extra at cost.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 18th February 2020, 04:50 PM
Administrator

I noticed that searching for "spotmeter" has only a few results but searching on specific meter's names such as "Sekonic DualMaster" L-508, L-558 etc will find meters not specifaclly advertised with the "spotmeter" keyword but do in fact include a spotmeter in their design. Probably best to compile a list of meters with incorporated spotmeters to maximise your chances .

While I was at it, I checked the going price for a used L-558 and I'm pretty sure it is something like £100-£150 more than I paid for mine new about 7 or 8 years ago (if that long).
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies