Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th May 2009, 04:13 PM
Friend

Thanks Alfie,
Your comments all make perfect sense and are most welcome.I think ID11 might just be the dev to start with.
George.
Old 10th May 2009, 04:19 PM
Friend

George, I use a Combi Plan Tank plus a few of these food storage containers - http://www.lakeland.co.uk/1.8-litre-...k/product/2378

I line up the tanks in a production line and pre-fill them all.

I use the Combi Plan tank for the Dev and the other containers for the other chemicals plus wash water.

The Lock & Lock tanks are not chemically inert – so the Stop Bath and Fixer Bath stain and contaminate the plastic – which means I mark each tank for its sole purpose.

I do all my processing up to and including the fix in the dark – but that’s just my personal choice – I don’t mind the dark and hate the dazzle when I switch the lights back on.

To develop I stick the lid on the Combi Tank and agitate the tank by rocking from side to side.
As Barry mentions, it helps to rock/rotate so the film flows across the surface of the sheet of film.
Rotating the tank the opposite way, so the chemistry flows over the sheet of film, tends to push the film out of the film holder – which is very bad news.

For the remaining baths, I just use a Dip & Dunk technique, leaving the top off the other tanks and vertically agitating the cassette.

I do my film in batches, so bought three spare film cassettes from NOVA (http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/...ilm_Tank_.html) - which means I can process film in an almost continuous cycle.

I use Halfords Battery Water as the final wash without a wetting agent and hang my Negs to dry be a corner, shaking off the drips as best I can before putting them in a Durst UT100 Drying Tent.

I have never had any streaking or development uniformity issues using this method.

My darkroom isn’t dark enough to process Film by day, so I only process film after sunset, which in the summer in the UK is difficult.

Other than that, I am happy with my processing method and the results I get.

Good luck

Martin
Old 10th May 2009, 04:22 PM
Friend

I too use ID11 at 1+1

If bought in 5L packs the economy is OK

Martin
Old 10th May 2009, 05:42 PM
Friend

Thanks Martin for a perfect explanation of your process,its just what I was looking for and fills in the gaps were I could,nt work out how to proceed. The use of the extra film carriers is a good Idea which I will borrow if you don't mind.
I take it that when you use ID11 1+1 its as a one shot developer which you discard and replace before you start the next batch of film?
Many thanks,
George.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies