Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd May 2014, 09:11 PM
Friend

Default PX14 cells

Does anyone know of a replacement of similar size that gives 2.6volts, or close to that? I'm trying to use a Nikkorex 8 cine camera. I only just realised it needed a meter battery! I had assumed it was a selenium meter. It can be used manually, but it would be nice to have the auto exposure working.
Alex.
Old 22nd May 2014, 09:49 PM
Friend

Small Battery Company do a replacement but it is 3 volts but they do an adaptor to reduce it down to 2.7 volts. Check their website and put PX14 in the display box to get their details.

Tony
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:47 PM
Friend

Thanks, Tony. I'll have a look.
Alex
Old 12th October 2019, 08:37 PM
Friend

just got my first Nikkorex-8 today. The only available replacement for the meter's battery is the Exell A14PX, look here:
http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/exe...4a-tr112-epx14
Problem is: 3 volts instead of the original 2.7 volts.
So what I did to get the correct voltage is I just put the 2 WeinCell MRB625 that were in my Nikon F Photomic meter (2 x 1.35 = 2.7 volt) and adjusted the remaining 3mm in height with 2 small coins.
Automatic aperture now works perfect.
What does not work is the motor, maybe because the old 4 AA batteries have leaked inside. Any idea how to fix that? thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 09:21 PM
Friend

That sounds like a good solution for the meter battery. I’ve used the one you mentioned, and it seems to work as well. Another alternative is two of the 675 hearing aid batteries. They are nominally 1.4V each, so quite close to original spec, and very cheap. On my last outing I used a Sekonic L308s meter that has a cine scale. That also works, setting your aperture manually.
I’ve been lucky with the two examples I own, as the motors worked fine. I did have an apparently dead Nikkorex Zoom8. It came to life, however, after cleaning the battery contacts, and repeatedly pressing the trigger. I think that two things can affect operation. Battery terminals needing cleaned/repaired, and dried up lubricant causing the drive to stick. I have another Zoom8 that also works, so I suspect the motors are quite resilient. The Nikkorex8 battery chamber can be removed, making cleaning or repair easier. Nikon products are quite well thought out that way. I found the same situation in one of their modern flashes, which made repair after battery leakage much easier. I hope you get yours fixed. It’s a great little camera.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 13th October 2019, 12:07 AM
Friend

Thanks Alex, I will try to remove the battery chamber and see if there are signs of leakage inside. Should the motor normally run even when no film is loaded yet, or do you need to load a film for the motor to run?
Ruben
Old 13th October 2019, 09:43 AM
Friend

Hi Ruben. It should run without film. Looking at mine, I would think that battery leakage damage might be limited to the chamber itself and outer casing. There are 4 screws on the base of the chamber which hold it in place. It might be worth removing it to have a look inside.
It occurred to me that the trigger switch could be a possible issue. My cameras are the 8F model (reflex finder). The switch is dual action with a lock. If you press it in, the meter and auto exposure is activated. To start the motor, you keep pressing in, and pull it downwards. To lock, you pull it out when the motor is running. Apologies if you already know that. The switch appears the same on the non-reflex version. If it works to activate the meter, you would think it might also be ok for the motor.
I would make sure the AA contacts are clean, scraped if necessary to reveal fresh metal, then insert fresh batteries and keep trying the trigger. If the switch contacts are dirty through age/ lack of use, this might might bring it back to life without dismantling. If all else fails, you could open it up to investigate. It looks quite easy to get the front chrome cover off, although you would probably have to have the trigger in the lower position to do this.
It’s likely to be quite simple inside, and the fault might be obvious. Professional repair would, I think, be uneconomical.
Alex

Old 15th October 2019, 11:51 AM
Friend

I will try what you suggest and let you know.
The trigger works to activate the meter, but not to activate the motor,, so it is likely old oil/grease that is blocking the motor. I am just not sure if I will be able to put everything back together after I open it...
Old 15th October 2019, 10:59 PM
Friend

You could try locking the meter movement by turning the dial to ‘C’, then giving the camera a bit of a shake as you switch the motor on. Sometimes years of inactivity make the mechanism reluctant to move. A bit of vibration can help. Don’t bang it off the table though 😮
Alex

Old 16th October 2019, 01:56 AM
Friend

Hahaha. I think I might just bang it off the table and buy another one, after all I only paid $10 for it, LOL...
Seriously now, I will open it this week and let you know what I find in there.
Ruben
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies