Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th June 2016, 10:41 AM
Friend

Default Whitby, if the cod won't go there any more why should I?

I have not been to Whitby for 32 years the last time I was there I was pulling huge cod out of the sea from a fishing "cobble". What is there to photograph and see in Whitby. Where is the best place to park to access and photograph the Abbey? What time of day is the abbey lit up best, dusk or dawn? Your answers may make it a possible place for me to go in Aug/Sept. thank you.
Old 10th June 2016, 11:21 AM
Friend

The best place to pack is at the Abby if you do not mind walking down the hill into town.
There are two car packs one is for pack and ride. I do not know if there is a charge difference between them.

there are lot of things to make pictures of including steam trains.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 10th June 2016, 11:27 AM
Friend

There is a car park up at the abbey itself, but I think it is paid. The actual abbey itself is English heritage, so to get anywhere close to it you need to pay or be a member.

There's plenty else to see around the area, Robin hoods bay, runswick bay, staithes etc. Also Saltwick bay very near the abbey (park by the caravan park entrance) is a remarkable and interesting tidal shelf at low tide.
Old 10th June 2016, 01:31 PM
Friend

By far the best place now to park is in the new 'Park and Ride' on the A171 about 1 mile outside town The return fare is about £2, a shed load cheaper than in the town itself and no endless and pointless slow crawl through the town to find somewhere to park. The parking in the P&R is free and the bus drops you off and picks up about every 20 mins just outside the station. The only drawback is the site closes about 7ish in the evening. If you wanted to stay later you could always take the bus back to the P&R collect the car and return to the town, the parking is much easier in the evening.

There is plenty to photograph in the town, it all depends on what your choice of subject is. Unfortunately at this time of year during the day it will be wall to wall people, screaming kids, screeching seagulls, grannies and grandads, meandering along in groups blocking everyone else's path and in the weekends, quite a few drunks.

It all depends of course a lot on the weather! A wet day in Whitby is about as exciting as a cold plate of cod and chips! So how about visiting the North Yorkshire Moors Railway? They have access from their line into Whitby by steam train now. Then there is the Village of Goathland, better known as Aidensfield from the TV series 'Heartbeat'. This is the 1st stop on the line going south from Grosmont, the northerly terminus of the NYMR when they are not running into Whitby. You will still have to pay to [park but it is nowhere as expensive as rip off Whitby

Oh yes Fish and chips. DO NOT buy them in Whitby! They are far far too expensive and you can find yourself sharing them with the seagulls who will attack you and try to steal them. Instead visit the village of Sleights on A169, the road south from the A171 to Pickering. The fish and chip shop there (also a restaurant) is about 1/3rd cheaper.

And why can you not get huge cod from the sea off Whitby? - Well blame the Dutch/Belgians/French they have swamped the area with their fishing fleet and left it almost barren! It's good being in the EU isn't it!

Last edited by John King; 10th June 2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 6th July 2016, 05:38 PM
Friend

My favourite place is a secret little section of coast called Saltwick Bay, its only a mile or so from the Abbey. Google it and get yourself there!
Old 6th July 2016, 11:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Your answers may make it a possible place for me to go in Aug/Sept. thank you.
A bit later in the year, there is the Goth/Steampunk weekend (4th-6th Nov), but some of the regulars are getting annoyed by the hordes of digisnappers treating them as a freak show. If you are tempted to go that weekend, dress the part, buy a couple of tickets, and enjoy the event for what it is.

When my annual leave coincides with one of these weekends, I intend to dress up and drag out the 5x4 (or even the 10x12) - Just need to test the waters with a few of the local Steampunk outings first.
Old 9th July 2016, 07:10 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfbiffherb View Post
My favourite place is a secret little section of coast called Saltwick Bay, its only a mile or so from the Abbey. Google it and get yourself there!
Definitely visit Saltwick Bay if you get a chance. I went there a few years ago on a visit to North Yorkshire with a few members of this group. While the rest of them stayed by the abbey I walked along to Saltwick. My only regret what that I wasn't able to spend a whole day there!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Old 9th July 2016, 08:33 AM
Friend

[QUOTE=paulc;109144]A bit later in the year, there is the Goth/Steampunk weekend (4th-6th Nov)
/QUOTE]
My wife tells me that I would definitely fit in the Steampunk catergory without getting dressed up for it, she often tells me I should have been born 150 years ago. I am not comfortable taking photographs of strangers (street photography) maybe I will have ago at it one day perhaps some sort of carnival would be a good way to start.
Old 1st October 2016, 04:21 PM
Friend

Hey, being from Grimsby, we don't eat cod only haddock. Also, we have Cleethorpes attached to us with Steele's corner house where the haddock is the very best. I can't pretend there is a vast array of stuff to photograph here so maybe there is no reason to come other than for the haddock. I always find plenty to point the camera at though

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies