Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th March 2022, 11:37 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
And gratefully received today, Mike.
Print 'a', showing the busy waterway of Stockport Canal with lots of activity throughout and across the frame.
And print 'b', but by no means less, a macro shot of a Gunnera bud, looking all alien-like, as I find the macro world often does!

By the way, MGV is new to me and I'm curious about the surface/finish. It doesn't look glossy or matt, is it some kind of satin or lustre?

Many thanks, Mike.
Sorry for the delay in replying as I have been away for a few days and couldn't remember. I have just had a look at it and it is a 'Pearl' surface. I am not keen on glossy RC paper as I find it too shiny and difficult to spot.

Best Wishes, Mike
Old 29th March 2022, 09:17 PM
Friend

Print went out today.
Old 1st April 2022, 09:10 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
Posted my print today.
Frank
And arrived yesterday. A very subtle print of a MF negative of a leafless winter tree which is full of different tones which the pearl surfaced MGV paper shows really well.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 1st April 2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old 2nd April 2022, 06:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Posted, just now.
Hi Marty, well received your wonderful print.
As a habit I firstly take my time for the photo before reading the letter. I could immediately what I like so much about the image, just to fins my thoughts mirrored in the letter. Therefore, this is a perfect execution of the very good idea. The rpint is excellent, delicate shadows in the main subject up to the lights in the clouds.
Thank you very much!
Frank
Old 2nd April 2022, 06:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
Hi Marty, well received your wonderful print.
As a habit I firstly take my time for the photo before reading the letter. I could immediately what I like so much about the image, just to fins my thoughts mirrored in the letter. Therefore, this is a perfect execution of the very good idea. The rpint is excellent, delicate shadows in the main subject up to the lights in the clouds.
Thank you very much!
Frank
Cheers, Frank. Much appreciated.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 4th April 2022, 04:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Print went out today.
And got delivered today!

Received an experimental print from Skellum.
It's a very high-key contact print of a white flower in a vase.
He got encouraged when re-reading John Blakemore's "Black and white workshop", to make this very soft high-key print of this white flower in a vase.
Colin made an 8x10 contact print at grade 00 and printed very lightly so there's pure white in the print, but no true blacks.
It's something I'd probably never have thought of trying myself, but in this print it just works. Beautiful!

It's printed on Foma glossy RC paper, I assume it's Fomaspeed, a paper brand which I like to use as well.
Printing on RC paper was also part of the experiment, as Colin states that until now he almost excluslively uses fiber papers for his prints.
For me it's also the convenience of faster productivity in RC papers what mostly drives me towards them (there's only a little amount of time in an evening ) and this print on Foma RC paper looks really good.
After having started my darkroom journey about 1.5yrs ago with only RC papers, I've only just started dabbling a bit with fiber papers myself and they certainly have their place for me. But a good print on RC is in no way less than a fiber print to me!

Thanks a lot Colin, I really appreciate the print (and you gave me some ideas to experiment a bit with as well)!
Old 4th April 2022, 05:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
My offering is finally going into the post this weekend.

Terry S
Postie bought it today, a very dark and moody still life of a dead rose with petel's arranged around it, printed just a bit bigger than postcard size, lovely indeed and the treatment suits the subject, I love it, Thanks Terry
Richard
Old 4th April 2022, 06:10 PM
Friend

Glad the pint reached you safely Sebastiaan, and thank you very much for your kind comments.
It's an old negative I had no luck with, but I think this is the best I've made from it. My usual printing style is a bit different, but using RC papers a bit more is encouraging me experiment. Fibre papers are lovely to handle, but RC is so quick to process (and a bit cheaper) that using a few sheets during a session to make different versions of a negative becomes possible.
Old 5th April 2022, 12:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Postie bought it today, a very dark and moody still life of a dead rose with petel's arranged around it, printed just a bit bigger than postcard size, lovely indeed and the treatment suits the subject, I love it, Thanks Terry
Richard
Your comments are much appreciated Richard and I'm glad that the print finally got to you and that you like it.

And as it happens, I received another print this morning, from a different sites print exchange, and that too was made on RC glossy, the same as the paper the print that I sent to you was made on. I mentioned that I hadn't used this surface for many years, probably 20+, having just 'gone off it'. Well looking at this print has made me think about using it again. Subjects do seem a lot sharper at least, although from memory, it can be terrible to try and spot, so I'll have to choose perfect negatives when I use it again. I mean, is there such a thing even?

I've now uploaded it to the gallery.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies