Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st May 2022, 10:20 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
I am off to Spain at the beginning of June. Is sending film by post to my destination a way round these problems? Does anyone know if parcels get routinely Xrayed as they presumably get flown abroad?

Mike

Highly likely Mike parcels get Xrayed. Probably with a higher rated X machine as well.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 1st May 2022, 11:44 AM
Friend

There must be a way around this situation some how, surely?

How do film manufacturers send their films and papers all around the world without getting fogged?

Terry S
Old 1st May 2022, 12:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
There must be a way around this situation some how, surely?

How do film manufacturers send their films and papers all around the world without getting fogged?

Terry S

Terry,

It seems only a hand search can do this. But from what I've heard there is chance they my not always do this. So you could travel and be lucky or simply told it has to go through the scanner.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 28th May 2022, 09:04 AM
Friend

Has anyone from the UK been to Europe and back recently with film in their luggage? If so, how did it work out? Was there any evidence of the scanners affecting the film, or did you manage to have it checked by hand? It would be great to know as I’m flying next week. I was looking forward to using both 35mm and cine, until I remembered this thread!
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 28th May 2022, 12:04 PM
Friend

Current experience with X-ray scanners - May 2022
VinceInMT Monday at 3:56 PM B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry

Alex, the above is a reference to a recent thread I don't know how to paste the whole thread here so you can read it It is not conclusive, few things on Photrio seldom are, but a US member describes his recent experience when flying to Europe and perhaps more importantly a European member describes his when flying to another country within Europe

It is currently on page 3 of what is termed "New Posts"

Mods: is there any way to transpose a whole thread from Photrio to her? If so would somebody explain in as simple a way as possible how to do this

Mike
Old 28th May 2022, 12:15 PM
Friend

Here is the original post that Mike refers to, followed by a link to the actual conversation, if anyone wants to read the whole thread.

BTW Mike, I have just copied and pasted this part of the thread, as that seems the simplest way to go.

Quote:

Monday at 10:56 AM

I just returned from a 2-week trip from Billings, MT to Venice and Florence, Italy. On the way there I flew from Billings to Denver to Toronto to Frankfurt to Venice. On the way back it was Venice to Frankfurt to Denver to Billings. While I primarily used my phone to take photos, I took along my Minolta SRT-201 and 6 rolls of Ilford HP5+400 that I loaded from bulk. 4 of the canisters were Kalt brand and 2 were generic. All were metal. I planned to use the film camera for street photography and figured I would get what I get.

I do TSA-Pre and when going through Billings I asked for and received a hand inspection. I had the canisters in a ziploc bag and it was easy to see the film tongues from each one since I didn’t have them in plastic cans. They swabbed them and I was good to go. When I got to Frankfurt I was directed to immigration where they went though my paperwork and stamped my passport for a transit visa. There was some confusion about where I should go next to get to my gate and I ended up riding a tram to another terminal which, I guess, took me out of security so I had to go through it again when I arrived. They were not interested in hand inspecting anything BUT ME. I always go through the metal detector just fine but they didn’t have one so I had to go through the full body scanner while my film went through X-ray. I have an AMS800 implant which the metal detector doesn’t find but the body scanner did. I have no paperwork regarding the implant since it’s so small and I only wear a medical alert bracelet for it. They were not interested in any of that and took me aside and I received more physical contact than I have ever had from another guy. They sent me on my way.

In Italy I had the camera and an extra roll with me when I went to the museums and several of them, like the Uffuzi and San Marco, have you go through security which is an X-ray scan of your bag and a metal detector for you. No hand inspection due to the crowds.

On my return flight from Venice, in the turmoil of trying to stay with my group (I was on a university study abroad) I actually forgot to ask for a hand inspection so all the film went through the scanner. When I got to Denver I found that my flight to Billings was cancelled, supposedly due to weather. (This turned out to be untrue. It was snowing in Denver but I have flown through there many times in the winter and they just de-ice you and you go. What they did was, due to the current shortage of personnel, was to reallocate our plane to Palm Springs. They told us it was weather related so they they didn’t have to pay for our overnight stay in a hotel. I have filed a claim.) The next day I went through security (TSA-Pre) and ask for a hand inspection of my film. They took it away while my bag and I went through our scanners. They handed the zip-lock bag of film back to me and there was a bit of a kerfuffle over my carryon which they sent through the scanner about 3 times. The line was backing up and people were getting antsy. They finally gave me my bag and I moved into the outer area to put the film back into the bag. That’s when I noticed that one of the caps from a generic canister was loose in the bag. Sure enough, I could see the film. Sigh….

When I got home I developed the 3 rolls I’d shot, which included the now assuredly fogged one, in D76 stock. When I pulled them out of the wash I was surprised to find that the two that hadn’t been opened looked just fine. The one that was opened was fogged but only about the first half of the roll and even in that half I could still make out images. I guess the tightness of the roll on the spindle helped.

That’s my latest experience traveling with film and I’m looking forward to doing it again.
https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...y-2022.192059/

Terry S
Old 28th May 2022, 01:13 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry. I did consider this but of course the thread has many posts some of which were probably more useful than the OP's but copying and pasting all the thread makes it massive

The OP was asked a question about whether the scanners he went through were the older X Ray or the new CT Scanners and he didn't seem to know which was why the later posts from I think the European member Koraks was more helpful

I notice when I google photography matters it always seems to come up with threads from FADU and Photrio so there has to be a way but it might be incredibly complicated for us but easy for Google. I just don't know

Mike
Old 28th May 2022, 02:40 PM
Friend

Default The ferry alternative

I travelled from Portsmouth to Bilbao, Spain on the Brittany Ferries Salamanca, a nice new Chinese ship, a few days ago. There was a security inspection hall at the outbound port but we were waved through. We were carrying a 10X brick of 120 Delta 100 and some loose rolls in our Mini but there was no search. I'll let you know about fog in due course (our dog and its paperwork attracted more attention).
Old 28th May 2022, 02:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I imagine they are carried by a haulier in a container by road, then in a ferry or freighter, never by air.
I have, several times, seen a scanner in a French motorway service station. The vertical towers are carried on two trailers and trucks have to pass between them. The armed operators don't encourage detailed examination, so that's all I can relate.
Old 28th May 2022, 03:09 PM
Friend

Thanks Mike, Terry and Jonathon. That is all helpful. The pasted post is worth reading. The poster gives great detail of his travels. I’m inclined to take a chance and see what happens. I’m flying from Edinburgh to the new Berlin airport, and later from Glasgow to Venice. The films will have two passes at most, and any I buy on location only one. I had intended doing some colour negative, but given the outrageous cost, I don’t want to risk it. I’ll stick to B&W. A fogged roll of Standard 8 would be a disaster, so I might forget about that for the time being.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies