Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th December 2010, 12:04 AM
Friend

1+ mins sounds long to me. If it's not the negs, what wattage bulb are you using, 75W?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 7th December 2010, 07:17 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
1+ mins sounds long to me. If it's not the negs, what wattage bulb are you using, 75W?
No idea, whatever was in the enlarger (I will check later). The light gets brighter as the f stop is changed and the image is sharp so I now think that the lens is working. Like I said before the negs are about as dark as C41 B&W negs I have had done professionally plus the results are in my album too. Clearly I am doing something wrong! I am hoping to get the previous owner round in the next week to give me some pointers.

Been heavily into digital for several years and just starting with the art of film and developing the film and prints myself. I am here to learn and to share with others.
Old 7th December 2010, 08:19 AM
Friend

The Meopta axomat uses a max 75 watt bulb, but from what you describe your negatives could be either over exposed or over developed, and again,it sounds as if your enlarger lens is working fine, without knowing what the lens is, it os difficult to tell you much more about it, but it sounds as if you have a meopta lens, and if it is something like a meogon then I would hang on as they are widely regarded to be a very good lens,among the best,so let us know what the make and model is, and we can go from there,but it sounds as if the problem could be your negatives as opposed to your lens,Richard
Old 13th December 2010, 07:16 AM
Friend

I acquired an El-Nikkor 50 mm f/4 lens with a small Omega B600 that I rescued from being tossed. Both the enlarger and the lens are in perfect condition, and I use it mostly for making small prints from 35 mm negatives. I'd been used to using the 6 element 50 mm EL-Nikkor and did not expect very much fromt he lesser F/4, 4 element model. I was wrong. Print sizes up to 8x10 from the same negative look the same to me, that is excellent. Larger than that and you can start to see some differences, the 4 element lens being a bit softer at the edges.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies