Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st February 2011, 08:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Clive, of course you could be right, although perhaps some would say, a somewhat cynical view. But perhaps it is in the knowledge that the photographer (artist) has been totally involved in the creation of the print (work of art) using their own fair hands and therefore imbued with their soul/spirit. It is somewhat on the lines of provenance that accompanies antiques, books or any item that has history, significance and importance.
Trevor, you are probably quite correct, as my post was somewhat cynical and I do take your point about provenance. I suppose what annoys me is that most artists also produce a volume of rubbish that they are not happy with, but because it has their provenance it commands a value out of proportion to what they considered their best work.
Old 1st February 2011, 09:02 PM
Friend

Clive, 'serious' collectors are a strange 'animal', beyond the understanding of normal folk.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 1st February 2011, 11:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Clive, of course you could be right, although perhaps some would say, a somewhat cynical view. But perhaps it is in the knowledge that the photographer (artist) has been totally involved in the creation of the print (work of art) using their own fair hands and therefore imbued with their soul/spirit. It is somewhat on the lines of provenance that accompanies antiques, books or any item that has history, significance and importance.
Trevor,
I agree, if I understand what you mean. I think another measure of value is what the picture means to the photographer, and by extension the viewer. If it brings pleasure to the person who took it, it's immensely valuable, if it brings pelasure to others, the value increases. Value is not simply the prvince of monetary, imho - define pleasure? I can't, a pic may bring distress to an individual but still have a measure of value - I personally value the work of Philip Jones-Griffiths in Vietnam, not sure I get pleasure from the torments represented in some, but in terms of value............
Phew, who bought me some strong beer?

http://graemestarkphotography.blogspot.com/
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:38 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
Many years ago I attended a lecture by a photographer who claimed that a photograph could only be rated as a good photograph by how much people were prepared to pay for it. I could not understand that viewpoint, but what do FADU members think about that?
I think your lecturer has a point.
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
Many years ago I attended a lecture by a photographer who claimed that a photograph could only be rated as a good photograph by how much people were prepared to pay for it. I could not understand that viewpoint, but what do FADU members think about that?
Depends whether the photograph is being obtained for it's content or because of who made it. I suppose some people may enjoy it because of who made it rather than because of its content; just as they seem to enjoy wearing a manufacturer's label on the outside of their clothing.

I wonder, was your lecturer going to hang the picture where he could enjoy it, or hide it away in a vault hoping that it will appreciate by more than the rate of inflation, or maybe take a chance by doing both?
Old 2nd February 2011, 05:13 PM
Friend

Define 'value', 'art' and where 'photography' fits into the first two all before breakfast eh - and after you've done that ask someone else opinion - head aching already

Are bankers more valuable than footballers - discuss
Old 3rd February 2011, 03:09 PM
Friend

So if you had a 'good' print and gave it away for nothing....it would'nt be a good print anymore?.....................Answers on no more than two sides of A4 paper
Old 3rd February 2011, 03:48 PM
Friend

That's a slightly different question though Mark.

The original statement is that a print is only as good as what someone is willing to pay for it.

If you give it away it doesn't make it worthless or a bad print because the question still stand, what would the receiver pay for it if they weren't given it.
Old 3rd February 2011, 04:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
That's a slightly different question though Mark.

The original statement is that a print is only as good as what someone is willing to pay for it.

If you give it away it doesn't make it worthless or a bad print because the question still stand, what would the receiver pay for it if they weren't given it.
.....and indeed, speaking hypothetically, what would or could the recipient sell it on for?
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 3rd February 2011, 04:40 PM
Friend

Why does everything have to be monetised ?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies