Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st September 2015, 05:45 PM
New User

Default Polaroid

i am going to buy a Polaroid camera but wanted some advise please before I do.

1. I want a fully manual one that will use the whole of the film and not just the square format or at least have the option.

2. Is peel apart film going to be a problem in the near future as I can't make heads or tails of it online if it's going to discontinued or other companies are going to make it. I wouldn't mind shooting with 4x5 and that seems to be a bigger problem.

3. Not to sure weather to use a medium format or large format camera. I guess it's all down to the future in the making of the films as my wife won't be to impressed if the camera ends up as just an ornament.

Any help will be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 4th September 2015, 08:42 AM
Friend

Hi, If I was to get serious about Polaroid I would find a back that fitted my medium format camera. At the moment I use an Instax when I do use it.

With lomo cameras being so popular I do not see instant pictures fading out for some time. As to large format I can not help as I'm not a user but I'm sure someone here will be able to advise.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 4th September 2015, 05:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
2. Is peel apart film going to be a problem in the near future as I can't make heads or tails of it online if it's going to discontinued or other companies are going to make it.
Any help will be great. Thanks in advance.
I confess to being in the same boat, Smiler, and not just with peel-apart film. I am confused as to the status of all "things polaroid".

I really can't see me buying one but I'd appreciate seeing an easy to understand article on the whole "affair polaroid" i.e. what's available, what's compatible with what, where does the "Impossible Project" as it is called fit in? etc

Mike
Old 12th September 2015, 04:11 PM
Friend

Default Polaroid

I have a Polaroid back for my Bronica cameras. I can use the Fuji FP100C film in it. There is also a B&W version of that film, but I think Fuji have discontinued production. The film is not as large as 4x5, and I don't think it will fit the film holders you get for 4x5 cameras. There are dozens of 4x5 holders on eBay, all pretty cheap. There is also a Fuji version of the 4x5 holder, and I believe there was available the FP100C film in that size. I don't think you can get that now. The drawback with MF is that the image area is the same as the negative. I find the 6x6 shots I've made are too small to be useful. They also waste most of the film area which is around 3x4 inches. Perhaps someone has the exact dimensions? The film in this size, however, must have been designed for a camera that used the whole film area. If you can work out what camera that is, you would be able to get the FP100c film at least for it. I hope that makes sense! I'm keeping my remaining film in the fridge in the hope that I can someday use it in my 4x5 camera.
Alex
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies