Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th January 2020, 06:50 PM
Friend

Hi Mike,
I am in again. Thanks.
Frank
Old 30th January 2020, 03:47 PM
Print Exchange Manager

The following have opted top participate in the next round - 118, Feb. 2020.

Richard Gould
SanMiguel
MartyNL
Terry S
Quendil
alexmuir
MikeHeller
JakubV
DaveInElland
PanFrank

Please let me know if I have omitted anyone. Anyone else wishing to participate has until the end of Friday to post in this thread.
Thanks, Mike
Old 1st February 2020, 06:31 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Entry to this Print Exchange is now closed. Participants have not changed since my last post on Thursday 30th Jan.

PMs will hopefully go out at the beginning of next week.
Mike
Old 5th February 2020, 11:04 AM
Print Exchange Manager

The PMs have gone out today. Please let me know if you do not receive it or of any other problems.
Thanks, Mike
Old 13th February 2020, 04:19 PM
Friend

Just posted mine
Richard
Old 14th February 2020, 12:44 PM
Friend

My offering is in the post
David
Old 15th February 2020, 04:25 PM
Administrator

The gallery is now open for submissions.
Old 17th February 2020, 01:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendil View Post
My offering is in the post
David
And received today, thank you David. (Not bad Royal Mail, for 2nd class mail posted on a Friday, to arrive on the Monday.)

Anyway, David has sent me a well composed picture of the exterior of an abandoned building in Mevagissey harbour, taken on his Bronica ETRS, using an old roll of Kodak Verichrome Pan.

I believe you have only recently returned to photography David, and maybe darkroom work? So well done on your effort.

If I could offer a word of advice, especially for this type of subject, although this is of course my preference, it would be to shoot under brighter conditions. I say this as your print is a little flat and some contrast and shadows would bring more life into this particular picture.

Also, you mention it's your first attempt at FB papers, but worry about the extended washing that is required. Well, you can buy a product which shortens washing times dramatically, called Wash Aid. But a lot of people make their own easily and much, much cheaper, by just using a tablespoon of EITHER Sodium Sulphite / Sulfite (which I buy cheaply on ebay) or Sodium Carbonate (washing soda = about £1:00 for a bag, of which I get mine from the local corner shop) in about a litre of water in a tray. Just search 'wash aid', 'sodium sulphite' or 'sodium carbonate' on here or via google and you'll find a wealth of comments about it. The main thing being, it will DRAMATICALLY reduce your washing times, which is a good thing for me, being on a water meter.

As one poster says, 'This makes the water just a little more alkaline and thus opens up the gelatin, hence making it easier to wash out the fixer. I put about 1 cm of the solution into a dish and just rock it to and fro for about a minute before a final much reduced wash cycle...'

But once again, many thanks for the print.

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 17th February 2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 17th February 2020, 02:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
And received today, thank you David. (Not bad Royal Mail, for 2nd class mail posted on a Friday, to arrive on the Monday.)

Anyway, David has sent me a well composed picture of the exterior of an abandoned building in Mevagissey harbour, taken on his Bronica ETRS, using an old roll of Kodak Verichrome Pan.

I believe you have only recently returned to photography David, and maybe darkroom work? So well done on your effort.

If I could offer a word of advice, especially for this type of subject, although this is of course my preference, it would be to shoot under brighter conditions. I say this as your print is a little flat and some contrast and shadows would bring more life into this particular picture.

Also, you mention it's your first attempt at FB papers, but worry about the extended washing that is required. Well, you can buy a product which shortens washing times dramatically, called Wash Aid. But a lot of people make their own easily and much, much cheaper, by just using a tablespoon of EITHER Sodium Sulphite / Sulfite (which I buy cheaply on ebay) or Sodium Carbonate (washing soda = about £1:00 for a bag, of which I get mine from the local corner shop) in about a litre of water in a tray. Just search 'wash aid', 'sodium sulphite' or 'sodium carbonate' on here or via google and you'll find a wealth of comments about it. The main thing being, it will DRAMATICALLY reduce your washing times, which is a good thing for me, being on a water meter.

As one poster says, 'This makes the water just a little more alkaline and thus opens up the gelatin, hence making it easier to wash out the fixer. I put about 1 cm of the solution into a dish and just rock it to and fro for about a minute before a final much reduced wash cycle...'

But once again, many thanks for the print.

Terry S

Hi Terry,

I have to agree that the print does look a little flat. I really liked the building but I think the couple of photos I took of it where a little late in the day and found them lacking contrast and a bit disappointing. I was however determined to try and get a print and that was the best I managed to get. It not actually that far from me and hopefully its still there come better weather in spring and I can visit again.

I have recently got some Ilford Wash Aid now but thanks for the tips

David
Old 18th February 2020, 06:01 PM
Friend

Posted my print yesterday.
Frank
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies