Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th July 2021, 03:12 PM
Friend

Default Olympus OM-2n. AUTO OFF MANUAL Switch.

I have recently been testing my film speed and developing times according to the Youtube series by Peter Finch, PICTORIAL PLANET.

The test exposures are taken with manual settings.
After screwing up a test and developing the film, I was a bit puzzled that the test exposures came out with the same exposure.

The Olympus OM2n has three mode settings. Auto, Off, and Manual.
What I did not know was that if the camera is in the Off mode, it automatically tries to make a correct exposure albeit with limited exposure selections.
So if you do forget to switch on, you should get a reasonable exposure.
The next attempt in the Manual mode got the results I was after.

I have had the camera a few years and never knew it would go into an automatic mode even when switched Off.

This may be of interest to any owners of an OM2n.

Cheers.
Old 15th July 2021, 05:58 PM
Friend

Yes, Nat, that is far from intuitive and useful info for users. At least it would have confused me

Mike
Old 16th July 2021, 12:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
I have recently been testing my film speed and developing times according to the Youtube series by Peter Finch, PICTORIAL PLANET.

What I did not know was that if the camera is in the Off mode, it automatically tries to make a correct exposure albeit with limited exposure selections.
I've just explored the channel you mention Nat, but can't find the film test that you mention. So, do you have a link to it please? I am curious to try it out.

And I was interested to read what you said about the camera being off but still taking a picture. Am I understanding this bit correctly?

Terry S
Old 16th July 2021, 03:05 PM
Friend

Terry, I shall quote from the manual.

"NOTE If you release the shutter with the selector lever at OFF in normal lighting condition, the built-in automatic exposure control is activated to take properly-exposed picture, so as not to miss optimum exposure opportunity, at any moment. The difference between the automatic exposures in the OFF position and the AUTO position, however, is that the OFF mode exposure stops in 1/30 sec. maximum to save battery exhaustion, and the AUTO viewfinder does not appear."

The manual for the OM2n has a capital E in a square on the left of the front cover. There is a difference in the flash information between the OM2n and the OM2 in the separate manuals.
I bought the wrong manual first then found the correct manual.

The links will appear in the next two separate posts to keep things simple for me.

Cheers.
Old 16th July 2021, 03:24 PM
Friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FVD761pU7o

The first video will tell you the actual speed of your film to use compared to the makers box speed.

The second video will give you an idea of what time to use to develop your film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZj-iIpyloI

The figures you find for your personal film speed and developing time are only applicable to that camera, film, water, developer. fixer, equipment used and your individual way of processing the film. We all follow instructions in our own different ways. So these are personal results for your method and set up.

I watched these videos half a dozen times and I even made an idiot sheet to tick as I proceeded with the exposures. After a couple of runs it sets into the noddle just what you are doing.

No expensive densitometers or special equipment and it seems to work for me.

Even if you do not try it out yourself, I think you will find it interesting.

Cheers.

p.s. I managed to get both links onto the one post.

Last edited by Nat Polton; 16th July 2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 16th July 2021, 03:49 PM
Friend

Thanks for all the info Nat. Very interesting indeed.

I did do an exposure / development test on both a 35mm and 120 film some years back, but have changed developer since then, so will have to watch the video and give it another go. Hopefully it will all make sense to me and my past goes will resurface from my overloaded brain.

Terry S
Old 19th July 2021, 09:15 AM
Friend

The OM-2n has two separate metering systems. One works like a conventional SLR and provides the viewfinder indications. The other is activated when the mirror rises and provides the "off the film" auto exposure. The "off" position switches off the first one only leaving the OTF system available. Being able to get a correctly exposed frame even when the camera is switched off means a grab shot can be taken more quickly. Since the OTF system meters while the shutter is open it means that if the light level changes during a longer exposure the frame will still be correctly exposed. Genius!

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 19th July 2021, 10:38 AM
Friend

Richard, it might help explain why Jane Bown used Olympus cameras. That is a very clever system

Mike
Old 19th July 2021, 01:37 PM
Friend

I don't think that Jane Bown used a meter or any kind of automation, relying instead on the light falling on the back of her hand to set the shutter speed and aperture.
Old 19th July 2021, 04:17 PM
Friend

So no matter what light conditions she photographed in she could tell by the back of her hand what an appropriate shutter speed and aperture was?

I hadn't heard this nor of any photographer who did this, let alone successfully

Does this come from her in a book, article, interview?

Thanks

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies