Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th February 2022, 04:03 PM
Friend

Default Super Chromega C Dichroic Enlarger

Hi guys,
Been trying to solve the conundrum of this colour enlarger. Got it hlaf-working: I've plugged in the voltage stabiliser and timer, switched it on and the fan is going. Yay!

But the lamp didn't turn on (21V 150W projector LED). So I bought a new one, and tried again. Still not working. I've tried turning on the timer which works but this doesn't encourage anything from the lamp. Without this, the darkroom is effectively useless.

I hope someone can help me with this, I just don't understand what else I can do.

Thanks
Theo
Old 15th February 2022, 05:06 PM
Friend

Theo, firstly, I'm not an electrician so only do what you feel comfortable with!

My first instinct would be to use one of those nice screwdrivers with a lamp in and test to see if electricity is getting to the lamp holder in the enlarger head. Literally, the copper connectors that touch the bulb. If the lamp illuminates in the screwdriver, then it is "live" and power is getting through to the bulb in the enlarger.

If the lamp in the screwdriver doesn't illuminate via the copper connectors in the lamp holder, then using the posh screwdriver, check where the bare wires attach to the lamp holder and see if power is getting through the cable where it joins and connects to the lamp holder.

By a process of elimination, you should be able to establish where the fault lies. Enlargers are not so complicated. It sounds like it may have something to do with the lamp holder. The question is;
Is break between the holder and bulb?
Or is the break between the wiring and holder?

Is something broken, bent, loose, dirty etc.

My fingers are crossed for you!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 15th February 2022, 05:07 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Depending on the type of lamp and the connector check that there is no corrosion in the connection part. Often if it is a 2 pin type corrosion builds up and stops the lamp working. After ensuring the power is off try cleaning the connector sockets with a very small rolled up piece of fine sandpaper or emery paper. Not easy and often it is easier to buy a new connector block. Also if you have a meter check that there is voltage reaching the lamp. If the connector is on "tails" check where these are connected to the power supply. It is really a case of following the power train until you find a break in the system.

Good luck with sorting this out and you can soon get printing.

Bill
Old 15th February 2022, 06:31 PM
Friend

I don't know much about LPL/Sanders enlargers, but I think they are illuminated by a tungsten halogen bulb, which you shouuld avoid touching with your bare hands since the grease on your fingers will almost definitely cause it to blow. Use cotton gloves and ideally only hold it by the reflector, not the bulb itself.
Old 15th February 2022, 07:25 PM
Friend

I checked http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...s/manuals.html for a wiring diagram but I only found manuals for similar Omega enlargers.

Most important first:
WARNING!
The fan and panel lamp (?) are running on mains voltage while the halogen bulb is running on low voltage. There are areas in the enlarger that contain mains voltage!
Be extremely careful when checking the wiring and components!

If the fan is running it does not tell you anything about the low voltage part of the enlarger. So you have to start checking from the voltage regulator output to the socket and the bulb itself.
Old 15th February 2022, 10:22 PM
Friend

Default LPL ENlarger

I think the problem with the bulb not working may be due to it being the wrong one. The correct LPL bulb is 12v 100w. Designated A1/231 My spares are made by Osram.

If the two wires to the back of the bulb holder are in poor condition, i.e. scorched that may be a clue. The ceramic bulb holder with the two holes to fit the pins in the base of the bulb in are known to corrode. New ceramic holders are no longer available. but ones that fit the Meopta colour enlarger are almost identical and are available from RK Photographic. Just search https://www.thedarkroom.co.uk/

I have a 'usable' 6x7 negative carrier. You would have to make a mask out of good quality card to suit the chosen format, but if you want it - it's your for the price of the postage. If you send me a private message we can exchange addresses.

Also if you also would like a replacement LPL head (lamp-house part only) it has a good bulb holder and the last time I used it it was fine. Again if you want it you can have it for the cost of postage. It is only taking up storage space so I would be glad to see it go to a good home where it is being appreciated.

I use a card mask on my glassless negative carrier because the LPL original glassless 35mm neg carrier is cropped too closely and and the aperture is actually 23mm x 35mm.

I have just been thinking about your transformer where you said when you turned it on the fan started. That is a little odd because my transformer doesn't have a fan! So that may be incorrect also.

Last edited by John King; 15th February 2022 at 10:51 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies