Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th March 2014, 08:12 PM
Friend

Default Robert Adams: The Place we Live

On a trip to Paris recently I saw an impressive exhibition of the work of Robert Adams at Jeu de Paume. The prints were part of a touring exhibition from the Yale University Art Gallery. The exhibition called Robert Adams: the Place we Live consisted of prints from twenty of his projects from 1964 to 2009 and there must have been at least 10 prints from each one.
Not only is Adams an excellent photographer and printer but also a very good writer.

Although the work was all American based the topics of place and the way we humans treat our planet are universal themes.

Previously I've shied away from his work thinking it too political but the subtlety in how he goes about recording and spreading his message is, I now think, to be admired.

The prints were not huge and were all fibre based silver prints and very well printed.

As I was looking round the internet I came across the Yale University Art gallery website which shows most of the prints from the exhibition online so I thought I'd share the link.

http://artgallery.yale.edu/online-fe...-place-we-live

Hope you enjoy!

(Here's a phone-snap showing the prints and they were mostly this size.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1788.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	2074  
Old 25th March 2014, 07:58 AM
Friend

thanks for the link Tony, very interesting
Peter
Old 24th August 2014, 08:25 PM
Friend

Continuing my growing interest in Robert Adams here's an interview done with him recently for the Modern Art Notes podcast. He tells in one particular part of the interview when, as a beginning photographer, he wrote to Ansel Adams asking if he could buy a print of Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico. He could only afford to pay $40 which Ansel Adams accepted and duly sent him a print!
Robert Adams also considers Dorothea Lange one of the greats of photography and very under-rated.
The interview is about an hour I think and well worth a listen as are some of the other podcasts on that site if you have a look in the archive.

http://manpodcast.com/post/295557226...ast-features-a

Tony
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies