Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th July 2017, 08:01 PM
Friend

Default Spur Speed Major

A new film developer from Spur. It is a speed enhancing developer that in the case of HP5+ sounds like Microphen on steroids . An article by Erwin Puts, of whom I know nothing, in May this year stated that with this developer you can push HP5+ to EI 2000 without loss of shadow detail. I don't think that Mr Puts was making this claim as he was yet to test the stuff but he did seem to couch his statement about its speed enhancing ability in a way that certainly did not express doubts about the claim's validity.

Strangely it does not work so well in speed enhancing terms with D3200. This latter statement seems to come from the maker.

Sorry if this seems a little numb and vague in terms of attributing statements but it is all secondhand stuff

No-one here may have used it but seeing a Brock post in the last few minutes I remembered that he was a Spur stockist.

So maybe it is only Brock that can really give us the info. Macodirect stock it but looking at the Maco site did not produce any real information other than quantity(250mls) and a price close to £17.

Mike
Old 31st July 2017, 06:23 AM
Friend

http://spur-photo.com/neu-spur-speed-major/

http://spur-photo.com/wp-content/upl...peed-Major.pdf

Only in German, sorry ;-)
Hope it helps a bit?

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 31st July 2017, 07:29 PM
Friend

Thanks, Folker. My German is poor but the data sheet would appear to bear out the statement I had seen that Spur Speed Major is not the developer for D3200. In fact HP5+ at EI 2000 appears to be the best film for highest speed in the whole group of films tested.

Based on the picture of the bird it was difficult to be sure that HP5+ at 2000 had the same level of shadow detail as is the case at its box speed of 400 but it looked quite good. I was surprised that the same scene in the same light conditions was not taken at 400 then 2000 and two pictures shown. This would be the proof and could improve Spur Speed Major's sales.

No attempt to explain why D3200 only achieved 1000 in Spur Speed Major which is probably D3200's real speed. However Spur would no doubt say that as D3200 is Ilford's film, Spur doesn't have the ability or the information to research the answer.

Spur is expensive if you use HP5+ at 2000 at 1+9 dilution as it is only 250ml for £17 but at 1+40 at box speed it is much better value and on the occasions you need to shoot at 2000, the extra cost of Spur is compensated partly by HP5+ being cheaper than D3200 and even cheaper if used in bulk rolls because D3200 isn't sold in bulk rolls

I remain a little sceptical about EI 2000 delivering the same shadow detail as 400 does. If I were Spur I would want to demonstrate this claim on the website as soon as possible.

I look forward to more evidence being produced

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies