Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Sale or Wanted

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th August 2020, 08:20 AM
Friend

This one came up the other day

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-For...53.m1438.l2649
Old 25th August 2020, 09:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
Thanks, needs a good clean, a bit too far to pick up - but good to see they do crop up now and again
Old 25th August 2020, 12:11 PM
Friend

Have you seen this

https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/product...d-enlarger-kit

I don't know if it is any good.

David
Old 25th August 2020, 01:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendil View Post
Have you seen this

https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/product...d-enlarger-kit

I don't know if it is any good.

David
I watched this project and was on the borderline of getting one, when my 5 x 4 enlarger purchase happened.

I had also kept an eye out for an old apparatus similar to this, that was made for using with some of the older Graflex 5 x 4 cameras, (with the uninspiring name of a 'Graflarger') but they too hardly came up and always the ones I saw were in the US.

Here's a link to an old thread about it:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...larger.104344/

Terry S
Old 25th August 2020, 01:30 PM
Friend

I have seen it but remain unconvinced it'll perform well enough. Stability concerns as well as even illumination. I can't find any review of it that actually talks about the achievable results vs. a proper enlarger.

My 4x5 is an Ebony 45su. Not the lightest and a bit too nice (practically mint) to try to hack into an enlarger like this.

If I was to get one I'd need to also pick up a lightweight Intrepid 4x5. But at the cost I could probably get a proper enlarger if I'm patient enough.
Old 25th August 2020, 06:18 PM
Friend

I saw this one
https://www.profilmdirect.co.uk/deve...ser-4342-p.asp

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 26th August 2020, 05:27 AM
Friend

Faraz, may I ask where you are?
I noticed that you felt a trip to Manchester was "a bit too far".
Large format equipment was never plentiful, and as at least one person has commented the days of professionals simply dumping kit are over. You should expect good quality 5x4 enlargers to appear relatively rarely on ebay/gumtree, and if your serious about sourcing one then be prepared to make a day trip somewhere to collect it. Not many vendors want to post these beasts. Like this guy:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOBO-LPL-...fOtt~#shpCntId

Worst case you might need a day's van hire if the vendor can't be bothered to dis-assemble for you, but that could still less than the cost of a box of film. There is no prospect one of these will fall in your lap- you'll have to commit some time to hunting one down.

Like Alex Muir I have an LPL- great machine, and if you can find one it will give you years of service.
Old 26th August 2020, 08:51 AM
Friend

Skellum raises some good points regarding the transportation / collection of a 5x4 enlarger, especially the very heavy De Veres.

I purchased my De Vere 504 10+ years ago from a photographer in Exeter who was giving up. Fortunately I knew what would be involved but even so it took a round trip from West Cornwall to Exeter (with an XTRAIL and a small trailer) to bring the enlarger and all its accessories back.

Also don't bank on the seller giving you a hand to shift it to your transport! This happened in my case but fortunately I took someone with me who could lift!

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 26th August 2020, 11:52 AM
Friend

Unless I could be sure that an enlarger had been packed into either a tailor-made polystyrene box for which there was a moulded compartment for each bit or I had pictures send to me of the enlarger in its packaging I'd be wary of any such enlarger being offered for despatch

More care has to go into correct packaging than most non commercial sellers realise and the buyer can suffer the consequences of the lack of knowledge and /or skills in the seller's packaging.

5x4 is a big beast and 5x4 photography is big league in size and expense so a day out to collect is no bad thing. The other benefit is that if it is still assembled when you arrive you can ask to see it in action so to speak before taking it away

Mike
Old 26th August 2020, 02:56 PM
Friend

If your thinking of a De Vere 504 floor standing model be aware that you need around 246cm head room with a Colour head.

I know that when I gave a talk at out local camera club 3 or 4 years ago a member told me he had a 5x4 enlarger stored in his loft. You might ask around the local clubs.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies