Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th November 2019, 03:08 PM
Friend

Okay, I haven't gotten to the darkroom yet, but here's a link to the paint from B+Q that I use = the one at the top = Fortress paint. And for some reason there is a very similar one on the page, by the same manufacturer, but is £2 dearer(?)

I also forgot to say on last message above, that the paint is REALLY MATT and does NOT have any sheen at all!

https://www.diy.com/search?term=matt+black+paint

If not near a B+Q, Robert Dyas offer one, although I haven't tried this one, but you get a lot more for your buck and you get MUCH more for your money as well.

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/ronseal...tt-black-750ml

Terry S
Old 17th November 2019, 03:33 PM
Friend

I have used Culture Hustles Matte Black Paint to paint all the light taps in my soon to be operating darkroom.

It is both very black as well as very matte.

Acrylic paint - so washes out in water.

When I Google Matte Black Paint - its the first one that comes up - but my anti-virus software doesn't like their web site. Not sure what's gone wrong - it worked fine a couple of months ago.

Martin
Old 17th November 2019, 03:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
That's true of some but not the one I suggested, it's actually slightly more matt than the paints typically used.

Ian
Hi Ian. I think you got lucky. I have used Artists acrylic paints on and off for many years to paint pictures with, artist and student quality, and none of it has been dead matt, even with a Matt Medium added. And the thicker you apply it the more sheen it gets.

On a more general point, even dead matt paint can have a slight sheen when viewed from a certain angle. You can get round this if it is causing flare by adding a black flocking material to the paint. The smooth surface then becomes rougher and absorbs rather than reflects light. I did this with the inside of the back of a Victorian mahogany field camera that I restored. Light was bouncing off an inner section of the rear frame, and causing flare on the negative. I got some black sticky-backed felt material, sanded some of the material off it, and mixed it with Rustins Matt Black paint, painted it on the reflective surface, and it did the trick.

Alan
Old 23rd November 2019, 02:45 PM
Friend

An interesting connection to Humbrol Paints.

I have just been looking at the Humbrol website in their location for enamel paints. I happened on a can of propellant gas for air brushes and pondered whether the contents might be suitable for squirting into bottles of developer to preserve them.
It does not list the contents but gives a strong warning NOT TO BE USED IN CONFINED SPACES, specifically mentioning photographic darkrooms as it is highly flammable. It also says not to be used within 20 metres of a naked flame.
Although I will only being using a paint brush for my particular job, I thought it wise to spread the word.

Mind how you go....
Old 23rd November 2019, 03:34 PM
Friend

Protectan comes with similar warnings, explicit and prominent.
Old 23rd November 2019, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Since the banning of CFCs (>20 years ago) most aerosol cans have had to go back to using hydrocarbon propellants - mostly propane and/or butane; hence the warnings.

Protectan is basically just a can of propellant (at £20 a can)...
Old 23rd November 2019, 05:51 PM
Banned

Was backboard paint no good then ?

Old 21st January 2020, 09:18 PM
Friend

Just to put this one to bed.
Thank you for all the suggestions.

The final choice was a tin of Humbrol Model Paint and a small pot of Humbrol thinners.
It was a bit thick straight from the tin even after a good stir and shake. So a drop or two of paint and a dip of the brush in the paint thinned it down to a thin enough solution.

Why did I decide on Humbrol?
Nothing technical I must admit.
It was just that I happened to be passing a superb model shop and they stocked a vast array of model paints. Humbrol was the name I remembered.

Thank you all.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies