Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th February 2020, 11:27 PM
Friend

Default Paterson Postage Prices.

I have a Paterson contact printer for 120 negatives.
Unfortunately the sponge foam has perished.

I found one on the bay for £9.99p and thought this a bit high for a bit of foam, so decided to look at Patersons own web shop.

£6.92p inc. vat. for the foam, and a "Standard Shipping Charge" of £10.00p.

£16.92p for a piece of black foam !

Come on Paterson.

£10.00p for an address label, poly mailing bag and postage !

Do you really want to sell your stock, or is this "A Local Shop for Local People."

Old 25th February 2020, 12:32 AM
Administrator

A4 sheets of neoprene foam can be had on ebay for under £3 postage included. However, that foam is much denser and smoother surfaced than the open cell foam that is used in the Patersons so may have issues. 4mm thick looks about right. I'm away this week but I think I will order some for delivery next week as mine is suffering the same malaise. Thanks for the reminder - I've been meaning to do something about it for ages...
Old 25th February 2020, 07:32 AM
Friend

....or you could try somewhere like Dunelm who sell sheets of foam?

Mike
Old 25th February 2020, 07:50 AM
Friend

Have a look in Hobbycraft they have a variety of foam sheets for sale. I have used some on my Paterson contact printer for years with no issues. The glass just needs a bit more pressure to close it due to the slightly denser foam.
Old 25th February 2020, 08:15 AM
Friend

I would not be so upset about the price. Most of the costs are for the transport which will by and large be the costs imposed by the courier or the Post Office. We have no control over these except to look elsewhere.

The costs of buying on line for film paper and chemicals is also annoying but the likes of AG so long as the order is over a certain price then you don't pay the carriage. (Over £100) It might be the case for a group of us who live close together to buy in bulk. (or at least to get over the price threshold). Any thoughts on this one?
Old 25th February 2020, 10:05 AM
Friend

Bob is right about the neoprene being rather dense.
I cut to size a piece of 6mm closed cell foam I had bought for another job and didn't use.
It looked ok when tried against the original foam, but the glass lid would not close. It is to solid and thick.
That was only about £6.00p including packing.
There is a Hobbycraft about twenty minutes drive away. I will give them a visit and let you know how I get on.

By the way, the £9.99p seller on ebay actually has a bricks and mortar photography shop as well.

Search for Sharif Photography. Some good prices on paper and chemicals.

Cheers.
Old 25th February 2020, 10:41 AM
Friend

It's often forgotten there's a time element in picking and packaging, plus a cost of packaging materials. plus the costs of keeping stock on shelves until sold.

Ian
Old 25th February 2020, 11:22 AM
Friend

It is a good number of years ago that I bought the same piece of foam from Paterson but I don't recall the postage being the equivalent of £10.00 then. I might have been less concerned about value of money then but I still suspect that a very high postage charge would be something I would have remembered

It makes me wonder if Paterson have now settled on a standard charge system which does make small light items expensive but can save on larger bulkier items. Just speculation on my part

Firstcall as I understand it work the same way

Mike
Old 25th February 2020, 12:03 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I made such a replacement with a piece of cardboard from those ubiquitous boxes that things are marketed in these days. The thickness can be increased, if necessary, with extra card/paper covering.
Mike
Old 25th February 2020, 12:26 PM
Friend

I used 3 layers of 2mm foam sheet two sheets may have been enough.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies