Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th July 2020, 04:02 PM
Friend

Default Buying from Japan

Hello all, Iim looking at buying second hand lenses from Japan, does anyone know what customs/vat charges i can expect if any ? Tried to find out by searching on-line but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 04:03 PM
Friend

Forgot to mention i'm in the UK
Old 16th July 2020, 04:46 PM
Friend

As an approximate guide add about 28% to the advertised price in Japan. And don't forget the Customs do their calculations on the total price paid (includes shipping /packing etc).

Occasionally, if you are lucky, it will just arrive! Not sure how this happens but I guess the Customs are sometimes too busy to check everything or just make a mistake.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 16th July 2020, 04:54 PM
Friend

I bought a lens at £100 plus £18 post about two weeks ago. Charges were £31.65. I bought an accessory for about £67 this week and have paid £24. The carrier on both occasions sent a request for advance payment, which I did, or you can pay the driver. That was DHL first, then UPS. The lens looked great in the ad, from an apparently reputable seller, but needs a service to fix stiff focus movement. I got £30 back, but I would be asking several questions in future to avoid a repeat. I couldn’t be bothered with sending it back, so took the partial refund on the basis that it is fixable.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 16th July 2020, 10:01 PM
Friend

HMRC and the HM Customs before them do not seem to have a set rate or at least stick to it. Some time ago I imported a Motorcycle from Germany and before I brought it over I checked how much duty I would be for. I cannot remember the actual figure but it was somewhere around £350. When I rode it through the checkpoint I was told the duty liable was now closer to £500 (Pre EU days as we know it.)
Old 17th July 2020, 09:55 AM
Friend

I have lost count how many cameras / lenses I have purchased from Japan over the years - but it would be a lot!

Overall I have found the HMRC have been consitant with their charges and my experience has been good, but I do know of others who have had a few issues.

Care is obviously needed and also make sure the seller has 100% feedback, offers returns (usually at your cost) and has described the item fully.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th July 2020, 10:48 AM
Friend

I've bought a lot (but probably not as many as Neil) and have found the process hassle free.

Yes, you pay VAT and an import duty on everything (inc P&P), so I add a mental + 25% to everything when working out is it value for money.

It sometimes means that it is cheaper to buy in the UK and Europe - but not always.

As Neil says you need to look VERY carefully at the object you are buying to make sure there are no obvious faults with it, as sending it back is a PITA.

Martin
Old 17th July 2020, 12:14 PM
Friend

I always make it a rule to ask about anything the seller forgets / fails to mention. But on the last occasion I forgot to ask about the light seals! The camea was nearly mint so I guess that may have thrown me. But when it arrived I found the light seals, although not shot, were on their way out and should have been mentioned.

The price I paid was fair so to avoid the trouble I renewed the light seals myself. I had the matrials to hand and it was a straight forward job. The camrera is a keeper too :-)

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th July 2020, 12:17 PM
Friend

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
I've bought a lot (but probably not as many as Neil) and have found the process hassle free.

Yes, you pay VAT and an import duty on everything (inc P&P), so I add a mental + 25% to everything when working out is it value for money.

It sometimes means that it is cheaper to buy in the UK and Europe - but not always.

As Neil says you need to look VERY carefully at the object you are buying to make sure there are no obvious faults with it, as sending it back is a PITA.

Martin

Martin,

I think we need to have a chat about who has bought the most from Japan. I don't know what gave you the idea it coulld be me

Neil Souch
Old 6th August 2020, 12:33 PM
Friend

Many thanks for your help, Carl
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies