Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th March 2021, 09:26 AM
Friend

Perhaps these will shed some light on the subject:

Definition of 'ferrotype'
Word Frequency
ferrotype in British English
(ˈfɛrəʊˌtaɪp )
noun
1. a photographic print produced directly in a camera by exposing a sheet of iron or tin coated with a sensitized enamel
2. the process by which such a print is produced
Systematic name: tintype
----------------------------------
ferrotype in American English
(ˈfɛroʊˌtaɪp ; ˈfɛrəˌtaɪp )
noun
1. a positive photograph taken directly on a thin plate of black-enameled iron coated with a sensitized emulsion; tintype
2. the process of making such photographs
verb transitiveWord forms: ˈferroˌtyped or ˈferroˌtyping
3. to give a glossy finish to (a photographic print) by squeezing into contact with a highly polished surface, usually chromium-plated steel, stainless steel, or plastic.

As GB Shaw commented: "two nations divided by a common language"
Old 6th March 2021, 07:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
Interesting. And he really is naked in the darkroom! I remember putting a gloss on prints in the late 60's using a metal plate in a heated flatbed print drier as he describes, because a higher gloss was supposed to be better if prints were then to be used for images in a newspaper. I did not know that this was ferrotyping until this post! The gloss I got was a bit uneven, probably because I did not clean the plate well enough. I also used a drum drier as he described when at university but generally not face against the drum to get the gloss: there was, as I recall, a danger of it sticking.

Mike
I had a similar experience to Mike.

The drying drum wasn't clean enough for the prints to come off without sticking - or at least some of them sticking.

So, I guess like Mike, I used to dry my prints against the canvas cloth and achieve a sort of stipple effect on my prints - which to be honest looked really good.

I saw one of these drying machines sell in UK EBay for about £800 - which gladdened my heart to think there are still people beavering away with kit like this.
Goodness knows how you would move such a thing.
Even with the water drained out of it, the thing would weigh and awful lot and would need to be mounted on a solid (concrete) floor.

Martin
Old 26th March 2021, 04:25 PM
Friend

Default And a new cover has been made! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
(post #8) Interestingly I was given one of the heated driers with a shiny glazing plate and I have it on my list of things to do, to cut and sew a new canvas cover for it (as mentioned in a previous post). I'll give the real shiny look a go, but based on what is said in the video along with my past experience in the 1970's, it may well be just used to dry prints a bit flatter and when I'm in a hurry, with them facing up to the new canvas.

Terry S
And I finally got around to making a new canvas cover for my FB print dryer. (Pictures are below of old and new covers.)

It took me about an hour overall, with a few hiccups on the sewing front. But I'm chuffed how much better it looks and I will definitely be giving it a thorough test after the next printing session.

Terry S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB print drier canvas ONE.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	4119   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB print drier canvas TWO.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	4120  
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies