Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th August 2018, 09:28 PM
Friend

Default Rollei 35 LED

Colleague at work just inherited one of these.
She sought my opinion, because (of course) I know all about old cameras. Looks clean inside and out, with a lovely big viewfinder for such a tiny camera.
The camera doesn't wind on, and the shutter doesn't fire. But, no battery inside. I'm guessing that it's an electronically controlled shutter, so with no battery it can't fire, and it won't wind on as it's cocked already.
Battery ordered, but I'm wondering if anyone has one of these? If it actually has a mechanically timed shutter, and the battery is only for metering, then the camera is in trouble. Shame, as it looks very well cared for. Any users out there??
Old 17th August 2018, 09:30 PM
Friend

I had one a few years ago and as far as I can remember, the shutter would fire without batteries. But then I can't remember very well.
Old 17th August 2018, 10:15 PM
Friend

I have one. The shutter fires without a battery, but only when the collar around the release is turned to green. It has a collapsible lens. It must be wound on to cock the shutter before the lens is retracted. You pull the lens and turn it clockwise to set in the firing position. To retract, you push the small button next to the lens mount, then twist anti-clockwise. It will then retract into the body. It must be cocked before you do that. The design is similar to the B35, which is very common, and most of the other Rollei 35 series. They are great little cameras, and quite robust. If you have the chance to look at it again, I wonder if you could check one thing. The aperture ring on mine has no click stops. I’m not sure if that is deliberate to accommodate the type of metering, or if mine is faulty! The battery is quite unusual, but I found one online without much difficulty.
Apologies if you already know how the lens mech works.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 17th August 2018, 10:55 PM
Friend

The manual can be found here. As he's very undemanding, it's a pleasure to give him the small donation he sort of asks for. Colin, I have payPal and will happily give him one on your behalf if you like.
Old 18th August 2018, 07:13 AM
Friend

I believe that the 35 led was a budget version of the original b35, made in Singapore, and a lot of plastic parts were used for the working parts, the battery was for the meter AFIK, so you wouldn't nrrd the battery for usint the camera, but I have read that the plastic used can cause problems with film winding Ect, the oribinal 35 was a very well made camera, right up to German and Rollei's high etandards, and was the smallest 35mm camera at the time, but the budget models were not so well made and nedded to be used with great care, get a good one and it was a very capable camera, but if used carelessly the plastic used in the drive train broke, I don't have a 35led, but I do have an original 35, but I rarely use it as I find it too small
Richard
Old 18th August 2018, 10:47 PM
Friend

Thanks everyone.
Alex, no- I didn't twig how to lock the lens in place. The girl at work inherited all sorts of stuff from her father, who was a bit of 'collector'. I think the Rollei has been barely used.
If it should work without the battery, I'll try again next week, as I think she kept the camera in her office.
Old 19th August 2018, 10:26 AM
Friend

It’s a nice camera, Colin. I remember when it was introduced. I was young, and just into buying photo magazines. The first one I bought had a review of this camera. I immediately wanted one, but couldn’t afford it. I eventually bought a B35, which is the same camera fitted with a Gossen meter on the top. I used that for years, and, only this year, acquired a 35 LED. The main drawback for the casual user is the lack of a focussing aid, although there is a simple dof scale on the lens. You have to remember to focus. You can fit filters and a hood. I think the thread is 24mm.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies