Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th January 2020, 03:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
9 inch wooden rollers for clothes wringing
Quote:
We now have this magical thing called Electricity.
My Mum had an electric mangle on her twin-tub......
Grab your fingers before you could say ouch.......
Well done for testing, it all helps to understand what we can and can't get away with. Thanks for posting the experience. Appreciated.
Old 8th January 2020, 03:57 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry -- good to know I don't have to dissolve the crystals. I'd never heard of anyone doing this before reading Pete's post.

Re. dead Rodinal, I am aware that some of the formulations from recent non-Agfa makers have had issues with early death. As a matter of std. practice I am now doing a clip test before submitting any roll to even slightly aged fixers and developers (Rodinal-type and all others) just to make sure they are still good. I will most certainly do this with my old APH-09, as I am not confident it will still be active.
Old 8th January 2020, 04:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
As a matter of std. practice I am now doing a clip test before submitting any roll to even slightly aged fixers and developers (Rodinal-type and all others) just to make sure they are still good. I will most certainly do this with my old APH-09, as I am not confident it will still be active.
So do I now Svend - especially since my Rodinal blank film shock. I do it with all film developers now, even fresh ones. It doesn't take long to do and it's well worth knowing in advance if the developer - of any age - is still any good.

Terry S
Old 10th January 2020, 11:37 AM
Friend

It was the first time I tried to dissolve 'RODINAL' crystals BUT I have done it with Part A of a C41 process kit I got from 'CPAC Chemistry' some years ago as that is the Alkali and I was finding the dev was not active enough so I dissolved the crystals by Microwave gentle warming.
Old 10th January 2020, 08:37 PM
Friend

The microwave has many uses for which it was not originally intended. I give colour film developer a bit of microwave treatment to heat the working solution that I am going to store until I need it. Get it up to about 40-50c in 150cc bottles and then screw on the cap. As it cools it forms a partial vacuum. I have three bottles left from my last mix made 5 months ago and it is as good now as when it was prepared.
Old 4th April 2022, 12:06 PM
Friend

Re-reading this thread, it should be pointed out that using the kitchen microwave oven to warm or dissolve chemicals in, could be dangerous to peoples health.

Even AA had a dedicated one in his darkroom to dry test-prints.

They are not as expensive or as large as they use to be and just checking Argos, they start at £55.00; Asda at £45.00 and eBay at £49.00, although there are currently DOZENS, upon DOZENS of really cheap ones (under a tenner!) for PICK UP ONLY. All you have to do is adjust the search to 'Sort: Nearest first', to see if any ovens are ready for pick up near you. I could get one for £10.00 if I wanted to travel 10 miles.

One could also check 'Freecycle' or charity shops and the like.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies