Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th August 2018, 05:56 PM
Friend

Default Nikon autofocus

I was out watching the cycle racing in Glasgow today, and took my Nikon F100. I haven’t used this camera very often, but it seems to be the most appropriate for covering sports. I have to admit, however, that autofocus options baffle me. I know the system is very capable, but I struggle to understand what the different settings actually do. I could just resort to manual focus, or the simple autofocus where you use one focus area, but I’m sure there is much more technology available to be used to advantage.
Does anyone have a working knowledge of this type of camera, and how best to employ the autofocus for subjects like cycle racing, motorsports etc?
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 5th August 2018, 07:45 PM
Friend

Default F100

I use one (plus a F601 and a F6 but the principal is the same) and have done for some time. If I use it on the central focusing zone only (small square in the centre of the screen). It is good like that for almost anything so I have no need for anything else. I find flicking from single zone to multi a recipe for mistakes when you forget to change back.

If you are taking pictures of a moving subject, then set your camera AF changer on the centre of the focus selection. Pre-focus on a spot on the ground where the subject is likely to pass and with the shutter button pressed wait for the subject to pass. When the subject passes this point the shutter will fire when it passes and is in focus.

Or set it on continuous focus and point the camera at the subject as it approaches. The F100 focus speed is fast enough to keep pace with most things.

It does take experience to get the best out of any AF system so there will be a few failures at first, so persevere and it will all come together
Old 5th August 2018, 08:22 PM
Friend

Thanks, John. I’m not often covering the type of subject where AF is preferable, but would like to get to know how to use it effectively.
You’re right about the dangers of switching between different settings. It’s very easy to forget where you are.
I will try to get some more practice before the men’s road race next Sunday.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies