Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th June 2015, 07:54 PM
Friend

Default How light-proof are Paterson Developing Tanks ?

I have always loaded my developing tanks shortly before developing the films.

I've always done this - more or less out of habit.

However, I did toy with the idea of loading the Paterson Tanks a few days before actually doing the film development.

So it made me wonder - what does everyone else do and why ?

I have never seen any claims or otherwise to the "light-proof-ness" of developing tanks.

Its inevitable that where ever I leave the tanks in my house at sometime in the day they will be in direct sunlight.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences they would care to share ?

Thanks

Martin
Old 5th June 2015, 08:06 PM
Friend

I sometimes load my films a night or so before for convenience but then I leave them in my darkroom until I'm ready to process them.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 5th June 2015, 08:38 PM
Friend

If loaded correctly, Paterson Developing Tanks are 100% light tight. They are designed to be.
Old 5th June 2015, 09:40 PM
Friend

As far as I can see if a tank is lightproof for the duration of development, say 10 mins, then isn't it lightproof for say 10 years?

Having said that, on the few occasions I have had to chance to load a tank but knew that if I did I'd have to leave the developing until, say, after a meal so maybe 45-60 mins gap I have always decided to leave the loading until just before the processing

Mike, whose belief in the powers of rational thought has but a thin veneer.
Old 6th June 2015, 09:36 AM
Friend

One time I forgot to put the middle bit in and ruined a film. Otherwise as Mike says, I think they are light tight for however long.
Old 6th June 2015, 10:47 AM
Friend

I've never had a problem with Paterson Tanks, and mine are secondhand. Provided they are used correctly they are designed to be light tight.
Old 6th June 2015, 10:49 AM
Friend

I have loaded film into my Paterson tanks (both old and new styles) the day before developing the film and have never seen any evidence of light leak. This is true also when using Ilford and Kodak 3200 films, so I would say that to all intents and purposes they are 100% lightproof.
Old 6th June 2015, 11:13 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
However, I did toy with the idea of loading the Paterson Tanks a few days before actually doing the film development.
If you decide to do this, it would be a good idea to stick a bit of tape across the lid to remind yourself it is loaded.
Old 6th June 2015, 03:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
If you decide to do this, it would be a good idea to stick a bit of tape across the lid to remind yourself it is loaded.
An excellent point. I have in my darkroom a D3200 with its leader out. My camera always winds the film completely into the cassette so is this a film I have yet to expose or did I one night retrieve the leader after exposure meaning to develop but never did?

The correct answer is quite critical. I can take a chance and run it through camera with possibly disastrous results or load a section into a reel and develop to see if there is anything there. I'll waste a bit of film this way but I cannot now think of any other way of being sure

Mike
Old 6th June 2015, 04:19 PM
Friend

Leaving teh tank loaded in direct sunlight does not seem a very good idea - black adsorbs light well and the film will cook.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies