Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st February 2020, 09:51 AM
Friend

Re the black border, Terry. I’ve heard of a guy who machine cuts metal templates which sound like the real deal but I just use bits of mat board trimmed to various sizes I use (eg 120 on 8”x10” paper would be something like 7”x7”). I have the size marked on a bit of paper I use to focus and then set my easel blades a little wider on each side (4 blade easel helps here). Then after exposing for the negative I place my template along one corner/2 edges, burn in a few seconds, move the template to the opposite corners/edges and burn in again. I think there’s a better description on Ilford website somewhere.

It’s a little hit&miss, tricky to get the easel blades absolutely even on all sides but if I’m mounting it afterwards then any unevenness can be hidden.

Regards,
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Hi Michael, just to let you know that other postal bits for myself have also taken longer than usual lately, so I can only conclude that there is a backlog somewhere in the system.

And like you, my international post seems a lot quicker, as I have just received a print from the USA, in just THREE days and a small packet from China in just TEN days!

As for the print, please do post it on the forum, for others to see. Fingers crossed that it is a good representation of the print that I now have.

I also have the same view as you sometimes, about my 'regular, go-to' papers. I love them one minute, but then get down hearted and go out and buy to try a different surface. I then find that I usually return to the first paper, given time...

And a final question please - do you do anything special, e.g. a mask of some sort, to achieve the perfect black border that you have put on this print?

Terry S
Old 1st February 2020, 09:59 AM
Friend

Received yesterday, Martin. A very nice print of a cottage at Flatford, Suffolk (Constable country - your inspiration for the shot).

A very peaceful & timeless scene - helped by not having the intrusion of telegraph poles etc. I like the composition, using the river to lead the eye in. Super quality from that Fuji 690/65mm lens.

Nicely printed on Adox MCC paper (a favourite of mine, too). You’ve used Bromophen developer - does that make an appreciable difference to, say, Multigrade?

Thanks for the print-a nice addition to the collection!
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
My print should have caught the last post this afternoon.
Old 1st February 2020, 10:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
Received yesterday, Martin. A very nice print of a cottage at Flatford, Suffolk (Constable country - your inspiration for the shot).

A very peaceful & timeless scene - helped by not having the intrusion of telegraph poles etc. I like the composition, using the river to lead the eye in. Super quality from that Fuji 690/65mm lens.

Nicely printed on Adox MCC paper (a favourite of mine, too). You’ve used Bromophen developer - does that make an appreciable difference to, say, Multigrade?

Thanks for the print-a nice addition to the collection!
Michael
Good to hear, Michael. I shot both 6x9 and 6x6 of that scene and I really can't decide between the two.

Regarding Bromophen, my main reason for using it, is because it has better keeping properties than most paper developers, in my experience. I keep the stock in 1lt bottles and then dilute 1+3, as per instructions, which works out perfectly for my 20x16 Nova slot processor.

Many thanks,
Martin

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 1st February 2020, 01:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
Re the black border, Terry...

Regards,
Michael
Many thanks for the explanation Michael.

My way gives me more uneven black borders, whenever I occasionally do it, but I quite like the way it looks. I might cut a template or two like you have though, and see how it goes and if my printing style suits regular black borders.

Terry S
Old 2nd February 2020, 03:14 PM
Friend

Back from a trip away to find my print waiting, from TerryS.
Terry kikes to experiment, and this was with a Konica pop point, then printed on a Ilford Satin paper. I usually print on gloss, and it's nice to see a different surface 'in the flesh'.
Many thanks Terry.
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Back from a trip away to find my print waiting, from TerryS.
Terry kikes to experiment, and this was with a Konica pop point, then printed on a Ilford Satin paper.
Thanks for the comments Skellum.

Yes, the 'Konica Pop' p+s cameras are one of my favourite carry everywhere cameras, being quite small, quick and easy to use and having quite a sharp lens for this type of camera.

I have a few of these in a range of colours. Which colour I use, is dependent upon my mood really. The green one is a favourite, as it also reminds me that I usually have HP5+ in it.

And after being scanner-less for quite some time, I am now back and will put the print in the gallery after this message.

Terry S
Old 9th February 2020, 08:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Hi Mike
The list is a lttle bare this month, so please count me in. A new year is a good prompt to get out and make a brand new photograph.
Cheers All,
Colin
Hi Colin, love the 2 prints you’ve sent especially the matted landscape! I’ve got something of a soft spot for these kind of photos as you probably well know.

Your experimental “low-key” print looks as it should in my view and I’m sure you’ll be able to employ the technique well, with the right project and subject matter. I’m curious what and when that will be, ‘til then I’ll be watching this space...

Many thanks.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies