Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th September 2020, 01:54 PM
Friend

Terry, I appreciate the thread is about spotting white blobs on RC paper and the associated difficulties but do I take it that there is a black mark on the negative causing this which cannot be removed and when you project the negative onto the easel the speck's projection clearly shows itself?

It doesn't sound like this was this a piece of dust /grit that was on the film in the camera when exposed or it would be a clear spot on the negative post processing that shows as a black blob on the paper?
Again stating the obvious but I take it the black spot on the neg is part of the negative now and there is no way that a black element has attached itself to the negative post processing?

I may have been very lucky but in 16 years of processing I cannot recall ever seeing such a black spec that was a post processing speck which another wash and dry or even blast of air could not remove.

Mike
Old 13th September 2020, 03:26 PM
Friend

Mike could be on the right track there.
In my previous house I started to get the occasional black spot on the negatives.
After examining the negs. with a watch makers eyeglass I found tiny bits of sand stuck to the emulsion side.
I bought a Paterson water filter to use on the cold water tap.
The amount of sand and tiny rust particles caught by the stainless steel gauze was amazing.
This was not old plumbing but a brand new estate.
I shall dig out that old filter and start using it again.
Cheers.
Old 13th September 2020, 03:53 PM
Friend

I have a feeling that as far as particles in water are concerned then while most of the time any mains water in the U.K. is usually particle free there are probably times when due to water authority "maintenance" work for want of a better word, things do get into it and the frequency with which this happens during processing might be pot luck but on balance the more frequent is processing then the more frequent will particles appear but the good news is that unless you are processing every day of the year the average person home processing may go a very long time without any problems.

My understanding of the such particles is that the likes of the Paterson filter should catch them so that's another bit of good news

Mike
Old 13th September 2020, 04:57 PM
Friend

For what it's worth there is onother explanation for white blobs on a print which I have experienced where there are no black marks on the negatives. I concluded that I must have got a drop of chemical on the paper during printing.

Tony
Old 13th September 2020, 06:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
For what it's worth there is onother explanation for white blobs on a print which I have experienced where there are no black marks on the negatives. I concluded that I must have got a drop of chemical on the paper during printing.

Tony
I have had that, o=also perhaps a drop of developer on a finger, perhaps when putting the paper into the easel, it is very easy to do and a pain you no where to retouch it out
Richard
Old 20th September 2020, 08:45 AM
Friend

Terry said he used Rollei 400 in the original post.

Yesterday I developed and printed a 120 roll of Rollei 400 Infrared.
I actually used it in cut film holders.
Made a couple of small prints late last night and there are a few black spots in the sky.
They are not dirt specks from the water but part of the emulsion or base.
It is well in date, Feb. 2023.
I wonder if anyone else is having problems with dark spots on Rollei films?

Cheers.
Old 20th September 2020, 08:58 AM
Friend

Hi Nat, I only use water as a stop bath these days and I feel I have much less issues with clear spots on negatives. What do you use?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 20th September 2020, 11:19 AM
Friend

Sorry Marty,
I should have said there are black spots in the sky on the negative. They come out as white spots on the print.
Using Ilford Ilfostop stop bath.
Any spots that may be in the foliage will not be obvious due to the infra red showing light greys and whites for leaves etc.
Only obvious in the sky.

Cheeers.
Old 20th September 2020, 01:13 PM
Friend

Nat it certainly sounds as if it is a film fault that worth contact with Rollei. I have no idea how you do this unfortunately. As I understand matters the origins of Rollei in terms of exactly who they are and who makes the film is shrouded in a bit of mystery

I come across Rollei threads on Photrio but if it has been made clear exactly who or what Rollei is then this has escaped. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention

If you do start a quest let us know how you get on

Thanks

Mike
Old 20th September 2020, 03:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
Sorry Marty,
I should have said there are black spots in the sky on the negative. They come out as white spots on the print.
Using Ilford Ilfostop stop bath.
Any spots that may be in the foliage will not be obvious due to the infra red showing light greys and whites for leaves etc.
Only obvious in the sky.

Cheeers.
Nat, sounds very much like a film fault tome, you can try contacting Maco, who own the Rollei film brand I believe, and maybbe get a reply, but from what I have heard they are not very good at customer care, the only time Ib tried some Rollei film it was awful, and I sent 3 Emails to Maco and I am still waiting for a reply, this was around 7 years ago
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies