Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th April 2010, 05:12 PM
Friend

Kev,one method that no one has mentioned is to take a reflected reading from an 18% grey Card,instead of the subject, I think youcan still get them at Jessops, might be worth a try, I have used that method at times and it does work,Richard
Old 20th May 2010, 07:54 AM
Friend

Hi guys - just thought I'd follow up on this myself - it's a poor unretouched scan . . but anyway, excuses aside . . .
This was Neopan 400 rated at about 320, and overexposed by one stop from what my Nikon's meter said I should use - so effectively a Zone VI exposure. It was roughly 1/60th at f1.4 or f2. Then lens is an ancient 50mm Nikkor f1.4 . . .what a lens!
It was developed in Barry Thornton's two bath developer, which aided the highlights as usual. Grain is quite large, but you know at the sizes I print at . . who cares
Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img285.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	694  
Old 2nd February 2013, 12:40 PM
Friend

Default Highly recommend Ilford's XP2 for portraits!

Re-opening an old thread.

I've recently used Ilford's XP2 film for the first time in about 10+ years, which was then developed at my local Jessops ( ) C41 colour mini lab. (The enprints were very good too with no overall colour cast that is often associated with this film and it's prints.)

It was then printed in my own darkroom. The downside for me, if you can call it that, was the almost TOTAL LACK of any 'grain' to focus on. The prints from a 35mm neg at 16 x 12 were very sharp and 'grain' free though, with a very good contrast range at grade 2 1/2.

Some of the subjects didn't have the best of skin shall we say, but this film seemed to help subdue it no end, even though these pictures were taken with 'natural' indoor overhead ceiling lighting. This all ended with some very happy sitters for the pictures when they got a print or two each.

The bottom line being that I'd definitely recommend this film for portraiture.

It was used at the stated ISO of 400 btw and printed using all of Ilford's products.

Terry S
Old 2nd February 2013, 08:33 PM
Friend

Terry, I don't think that XP2+ is Frances Schultz's(Roger Hicks's better half) favourite film without good reason. It does seem to have a lot going for it except perhaps longevity v trad B&W( the jury has to be still out on modern chromogenic film due to lack of age) and possibly for the home enthusiast trad B&W film is easier to process.

Incidentally and not really related, I have heard or perhaps read that the early Baird TV system needed females to wear green lipstick as otherwise their lips, as an earlier contributor said, virtually disappeared

Mike
Old 3rd February 2013, 02:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
The downside for me, if you can call it that, was the almost TOTAL LACK of any 'grain' to focus on.
I came across exactly this the other day printing from Adox CHS 50. I use HP5 almost exclusively so it was a bit of a shock to see nothing to focus on. Initially I thought my grain focuser was out of whack.
Old 10th February 2013, 09:01 AM
Friend

If you cannot find any grain, try fining a a sharp edge to focus on (if you are shooting portraits look for eye lashes or a stray hair)

If you want a better Focus Finder then try a Peak (http://www.processuk.net/Peak_focus_...7_3427267.aspx) - expensive but lovely

Martin
Old 10th February 2013, 11:09 AM
Friend

have a Peak II which is very practical but does not enlarge as much as my simple LPL so I use it when the grain is very! small
peter
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies